Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hot Tuna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
My son traded up from a 4th gen touch to the 5th gen. He got a $25 iTunes gift card for his birthday and loaded it onto his account. He went to make a purchase this morning for a $0.99 app and iTunes returned a message that because he has never made a purchase from this device before that he had to answer 2 security questions.

We never set up security questions, so we have no idea what answers they are looking for. We tried to reset the security questions/answers but they are asking for a rescue email. We never signed up with a rescue email.

He's made puchases in the past with his Apple ID on his 4th gen touch and never had a problem. Why the problem now? Is it because it's a different device or is it something to do with iOS 7?

Anyway, how the heck is he supposed to reset these security questions/answers if he never set them up in the first place and never signed up with a rescue email?

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
This happens usually when you first use your Apple ID on a new device. This happened to me when I purchased the iPhone 5 last year, however in my case I forgot my security answers.

My suggestion is to call the Apple security team as you've already attempted to set security answers through the Apple ID manager. They'll ask you a few questions in regards of the account to confirm that you are the owner of the account and once that's done, they'll help you set security answers. The number for the security team is:

1-800-263-3394

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This happens usually when you first use your Apple ID on a new device. This happened to me when I purchased the iPhone 5 last year,

Just to explain why this happens: If someone stole your AppleId and password and tried to make purchases that you are going to pay for, they would not have your phone, so your account would be used for the first time on their device. So iTunes asks the security questions which they can't answer.

It's quite unfortunate that Apple has to look at these things from the thief's point of view.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I hated those questions and a few times it said I was wrong after I would even take a screen shot of my answers..

Set this up, way less hassle and more secured

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5570?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Just wanted to say Thank You for this link --I forwarded it to a friend whose account has been hacked 3 or 4 times over the past six months and she said she just set it up. I wonder why Apple support never mentioned this to her before. Well, maybe they did and she didn't understand until she saw it in print.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Just wanted to say Thank You for this link --I forwarded it to a friend whose account has been hacked 3 or 4 times over the past six months and she said she just set it up. I wonder why Apple support never mentioned this to her before. Well, maybe they did and she didn't understand until she saw it in print.

No problem!!! I hope they start doing this for iCloud too soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.