Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I wear a watch... but I probably wouldn't get a smartwatch. I think battery life is the big killer; my current watch works "forever" due to having a solar panel under the display, so adapting to something that needs to be regularly charged would be a pain. Unfortunately I get the impression that a smartwatch will use far more energy than what is generated by solar panels, so it doesn't look like that issue will be solved anytime soon :(

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I wear a watch... but I probably wouldn't get a smartwatch. I think battery life is the big killer; my current watch works "forever" due to having a solar panel under the display, so adapting to something that needs to be regularly charged would be a pain. Unfortunately I get the impression that a smartwatch will use far more energy than what is generated by solar panels, so it doesn't look like that issue will be solved anytime soon :(

True, but you gotta start somewhere. I am very interested. Especially since Google has been pretty good about selling their hardware for pretty cheap. I expect it to cost less than the Galaxy Gear.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
True, but you gotta start somewhere. I am very interested. Especially since Google has been pretty good about selling their hardware for pretty cheap. I expect it to cost less than the Galaxy Gear.

Yeah, it probably will be the cheapest "good" watch. But without dragging this thread off-topic, I'd rather have an N5 :)

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
I just don't see a need for smart watches much the same way I don't understand people who feel tethered to their phones. I guess I'm a minority but when I come home from work and even while I'm at work my phone is set on a completely silent mode. In essence it doesn't alert me to anything unless I'm directly looking at it. I understand this doesn't apply to everyone and some people have to be in constant contact with their phone out of necessity. Just stating that for me I don't see a point of these devices. I even came close to buying a pebble initially but couldn't justify the cost with my usage.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I just don't see a need for smart watches much the same way I don't understand people who feel tethered to their phones. I guess I'm a minority but when I come home from work and even while I'm at work my phone is set on a completely silent mode. In essence it doesn't alert me to anything unless I'm directly looking at it. I understand this doesn't apply to everyone and some people have to be in constant contact with their phone out of necessity. Just stating that for me I don't see a point of these devices. I even came close to buying a pebble initially but couldn't justify the cost with my usage.

I think smartwatches are geared for people who aren't tethered to their phone. With a smartwatch, it makes it easy to see notifications without having to take your phone out of your pocket. Instead, you can just feel a subtle vibration on your wrist. Or you could set it up so that nothing vibrates on the smartwatch unless it is a call from a specific family member or something like that. Personally I love the idea and have high hopes for how far Google and Apple can push this upcoming technology.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I can't imagine why I'd want one yet, but I'm sure someone will figure out a great use for it.

I would love if somehow it could have cellular connectivity to the phone and be waterproof so I could know when I missed calls, notifications while in the water. Kind of like a throwback to the pager but more lifeproof.

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I can't imagine why I'd want one yet, but I'm sure someone will figure out a great use for it.

I would love if somehow it could have cellular connectivity to the phone and be waterproof so I could know when I missed calls, notifications while in the water. Kind of like a throwback to the pager but more lifeproof.

I think Sony introduced a waterproof smartwatch recently. Personally I think they should start waterproofing more technologies. Phones specifically. Sony is the only one to do this part right.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Id love a smartwatch. Will be ideal for when I go out running. Also at work I hate carrying my phone around in my pocket. Would be great if I could get notifications on my watch.

Hopefully Google will keep the price low like their other devices.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
I think smartwatches are geared for people who aren't tethered to their phone. With a smartwatch, it makes it easy to see notifications without having to take your phone out of your pocket. Instead, you can just feel a subtle vibration on your wrist. Or you could set it up so that nothing vibrates on the smartwatch unless it is a call from a specific family member or something like that.

This usage would work for me. I just don't care about getting notifications except for from a few people. I would love it from a tracking my running perspective if someone could invent a pair or truly comfortable Bluetooth headphones and the watch stored music.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Pebble is waterproof and you receive the notifications while in BT range

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
For me, it will really depend on how it looks as to whether or not I get one. I use a watch mostly as a fashion statement. Obviously a smart watch provides much better function, but it still needs to look decent and not like the current ones on the market.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Until a smartwatch is released that offers functionality outside of the traditional calls/notification window, I'm holding off. I fully expect Apple to implement an iWatch differently.

But I'm also sure the Google smartwatch will be the most cost effective of the android watches. Should be fun to watch this industry sprout up and see where it goes!

JC17

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2013
I think it needs to offer something which my phone cannot. I like the waterproof idea, don't think that'd be enough though. Connectivity will be key, just linking over BlueTooth is a bad idea due to limited range but I can't see how it'd be able to connect outside of WIFi zones unless it was somehow linked to your phones contract.

The feel and look is really important too, no cheap plastic and gloss finishing please, give me a proper high end premium watch look/feel.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
It'd be weird that the next hardware Google would release would be a watch. I would've figured they made a smartphone in house before a watch. But if true it should set a baseline for other Android manufacturers.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I think Sony introduced a waterproof smartwatch recently. Personally I think they should start waterproofing more technologies. Phones specifically. Sony is the only one to do this part right.

Sony Smartwatch 2. Seems like it's being well received even though it's relatively unknown. It has a ton of features that the Galaxy gear doesn't have at the moment.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Ah, an Android watch with 3G for $250. Nice.

As for Google, they bought WIMM Labs last year, who made my favorite smartwatch so far (even though you had to charge it every day).... because it had WiFi built-in and could update itself without needing a phone.

People often ask, what's the use of an open source OS? Well, stuff like this is what comes of it, for one thing.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Ah, an Android watch with 3G for $250. Nice.

It's pretty nuts. Saphire crystal screen, ip67 waterproof, full Android 4.2.2, GPS, etc. And it has a full phone, speaker, microphone and sim card. That's pretty nuts, nuts enough to make me consider ditching my phone altogether and just carry around this watch and an 8" tablet.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
It's pretty nuts. Saphire crystal screen, ip67 waterproof, full Android 4.2.2, GPS, etc. And it has a full phone, speaker, microphone and sim card. That's pretty nuts, nuts enough to make me consider ditching my phone altogether and just carry around this watch and an 8" tablet.

Haha its definitely interesting. I'm not sure I would be able to make THAT big of a jump.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Haha its definitely interesting. I'm not sure I would be able to make THAT big of a jump.

Hehe, yeah I've been thinking about it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it after the google announcement though, it's almost perfect as a smartwatch IMO.

There is no way Google would release a stand alone phone like that. I don't see the purpose of just getting emails and messages on your wrist.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Hehe, yeah I've been thinking about it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it after the google announcement though, it's almost perfect as a smartwatch IMO.

There is no way Google would release a stand alone phone like that. I don't see the purpose of just getting emails and messages on your wrist.

That is very cool indeed. Is the intent for the device to get it's own phone number? I would imagine yes. Now make it waterproof! (If it isnt already I couldn't tell).

Wow, Im blind, didnt see that other comment, it is waterproof - Holy Shmokes! That there is some innovation

I'd like to see some reviews, but that thing is sweet.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6

Interestingly, there has been plenty of GSM watch-phones around for a while now. More and more Android based ones have been showing up on eBay, from HongKong, long a hotbed of using the latest tech. For example, this one with wireless charging:

ebay_gsm_watch.png

But the Omate on Kickstarter is the first watch-phone I've really seen with 3G data as well. That's pretty useful.

I loved my WIMM smartwatch, because even if I forgot my phone, I could still sit in a doctor's waiting room and browse the latest news and other RSS feeds on my watch, because it had already sync'd them up over WiFi.

Having 3G data would be even better, although then you'd need a plan for it. I'd go for something really cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.