Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

multipasser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
We have two 4s iphones and since iOS7.02 the battery empties out in about 5hours. And when it hits 10% it shutsdown most of the time. I asked my friends on facebook and about 10 people have the same issue. Moest with 4s, some with 5.

Why is there no big thread on this topic?
You guys expierencing the same? Please don't tell us to do a DFU install, because we should not do it. Apple should fix this issue.

I have all the battery drain options disabled btw.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
We have two 4s iphones and since iOS7.02 the battery empties out in about 5hours. And when it hits 10% it shutsdown most of the time. I asked my friends on facebook and about 10 people have the same issue. Moest with 4s, some with 5.

You guys expierencing the same? Please don't tell us to do a DFU install, because we should not do it. Apple should fix this issue.

I know some people who faced up with this issue, they went to Apple service center and got replacements. Maybe Apple employees not aware of this software issue?

jgauvin

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
Occasionally my iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0.2 will go into a high drain mode where the battery drops a percent every couple minutes, even if every app is closed and every battery saving tip employed. The phone gets noticably warm. Even worse, it shuts off when the battery hits 30-40% and will not turn back on until plugged into power (at which point it still reports 30-40% battery remaining). Charging takes much longer too, as most of the USB power is going to feed the beast instead of charging the battery.

There is definitely something wrong with iOS 7.

Update: PROBLEM SOLVED! Just now I had a friend with an RF snooper check my phone and it was *constantly* sending data. After resetting the cellular data usage statistics I could see that Safari was the culprit. Even though it was closed and had no web pages loaded, it was sending/receiving megabytes of data (1.4 MB in about 10 minutes). WTF was it doing? I suspected it was communicating with iCloud, so I turned off "use cellular data" for offline reading list, and turned off "Safari" in iCloud settings, and the RF chatter stopped instantly. I suspect the drain stopped too.

Last edited:

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Jgauvin: strange!
RF snooper? Is that a device?

I have posted feedback. At apple discussion forums there is a big thread about this issues, so I hope they are aware.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

It is a device that scans for rf transmissions. It is generally called a snooper as it was used originally for bug detection. When scanning something to find planted bugs, the bugs would emit the rf when they are transmitting and these "snoopers" would detect them and the db meter would increase with the increasing signal, thereby showing one getting closer to the source.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
There is definitely something wrong with iOS 7.

Update: PROBLEM SOLVED! Just now I had a friend with an RF snooper check my phone and it was *constantly* sending data. After resetting the cellular data usage statistics I could see that Safari was the culprit. Even though it was closed and had no web pages loaded, it was sending/receiving megabytes of data (1.4 MB in about 10 minutes). WTF was it doing? I suspected it was communicating with iCloud, so I turned off "use cellular data" for offline reading list, and turned off "Safari" in iCloud settings, and the RF chatter stopped instantly. I suspect the drain stopped too.

No battery issues with my 4s on 7.0.2. I don't use Safari but use Chrome instead. I also don't use icloud - I use wifi-sync with itunes. All my "use cellular data" is turned off except for apps that really need them like gmail, google maps and a weather app. Also location services are turned off except for maps, speedometer. Also turned off itunes "use cellular data"

OP: I upgraded my 4s OTA.

Here's my battery life after a calibration

Attachments

• Usage.jpg
    Usage.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 95

jgauvin

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
Follow-up: this did in fact solve my power issue. 60 minutes after pulling the phone off the charger it is still at 100%. Previously it would have been at 85% or even less.

I still don't like the colors and flat icons, but I'm now much happier with iOS 7

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Surely my iPhone 5 has battery drain problems with iOS 7.

Safari and iCloud sync ? Could be ....
With good signal strength I can reach 7-8 hrs, in poor signal strength I barely pass the 4 hrs mark.
Maybe the phone is constantly trying to send data and with a bad connection it drains the battery quickly.

sl4vik

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Battery life has been perfect with iOS 7 and an my Tmobile iPhone 5.

However, I have noticed that if you have a WEAK LTE signal, the batter WILL DRAIN really quickly even if you have wifi on.

I have experimented for 3 days now. With LTE turned on my bedstand where I get 2 bars LTE the battery will drain 50% overnight, about 8-9 hours. With LTE off it will drain 0% overnight. Yes, that is correct, literally ZERO percent over 8-9. I charge it to 100% before bed, wake up and its exactly at 100%. I have tested this on my girlfriends Verizon iPhone 5 as well.

Since I still get about 10mb download with LTE off, I just leave it off. Honestly, webpages load instantly, as does Netflix and YouTube, so at this point I don't even see a real reason for keeping LTE on. 4G is plenty fast and doesn't take nearly the battery hit.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
I had bad battery life until I removed loads of junk from notification centre. Battery life has more than tripled.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
Mine has been horrible as well! Yesterday unplugged at 6:00AM and was almost completely dead by my first break at work which was at 10:00AM and I had only used it to check e-mail and listen to about 10 mins of music, the rest of the time it was left in my pocket.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

There are and also many, many small ones.

Short answer: It's one of your apps and FaceBook is often mentioned.

If you believe it's Apple's problem to fix, restore your phone as new, don't restore from a backup, and don't install any apps. When your battery drains at the same rate take it to a Genius.

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I too was having issues with background apps draining the battery, kept noticing the location arrow when in fact I'd closed all the background stuff off. Turn out it was the frequent locations under system services which was hammering the phone. Turned it off and I'm now back to my old battery life with ios 6.

It's also helped my phone taking a dump at 10% too! ran it down to 1% last night for the first time since installing ios 7.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'll give the Safari iCloud sync off option a try.
I'm quite sure there is something keep trying to exchange data, because within a good network coverage my endurance is above 7 hrs while in poor signal strength I can't reach the 5 hrs mark.
My suspects are safari or iMessage. I can't stop using iMessage, so now I'm trying to disable Safari iCloud sync and watch what will happen.

----------

I know some people who faced up with this issue, they went to Apple service center and got replacements. Maybe Apple employees not aware of this software issue?

Correct.
I don't want my pristine iPhone 5 replaced for a software issue.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I am also experiencing horrific battery life since switching to iOS7. I had very respectable battery life in iOS6, so it's not a hardware issue.

The best we can do is keep up with the noise, so we are not ignored by Apple.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Personally, I still see little to no difference in battery for iOS7.

Strangely enough, I've also stopped closing all my apps. I used todo so every couple of hours, but now I just can't be bothered.
Strange that.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I am also experiencing horrific battery life since switching to iOS7. I had very respectable battery life in iOS6, so it's not a hardware issue.

The best we can do is keep up with the noise, so we are not ignored by Apple.

Keep up with the noise using the feedback section in apple support site

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I haven't experienced any battery problems with my 5( the battery life is pretty much the same as ios 6) , I charge my phone every two days :rolleyes:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I haven't experienced any battery problems with my 5( the battery life is pretty much the same as ios 6) , I charge my phone every two days :rolleyes:

If you charge your iPhone every two days, you basically don't use it :D
I had to charge it every night also with iOS 6, but now with iOS 7 I can't reach the evening ....

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I use it a lot, mostly phone calls from 5 to 20/30 mins, texts, fb/twitter 3G only no LTE in my area. But for web surfing I use my tablet :D

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

The issue is most likely related to the upgrade process itself and not iOS 7.

This is why we usually recommend users do a fresh install or setup their iPhones as NEW.

If you do not wish to do this feel free to take the phone to the Apple store where one of the Apple Geniuses will make you do a restore anyway.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
No battery issues with my 4s on 7.0.2. I don't use Safari but use Chrome instead. I also don't use icloud - I use wifi-sync with itunes. All my "use cellular data" is turned off except for apps that really need them like gmail, google maps and a weather app. Also location services are turned off except for maps, speedometer. Also turned off itunes "use cellular data"

OP: I upgraded my 4s OTA.

Here's my battery life after a calibration

So you've turned basically everything off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.