Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Is anyone else having issues with airplay mirroring on their IOS devices?

Bit of background - I am a school teacher using airplay mirroring in the classroom. I use my ipad3 mirrored to my macbook air running airserver. However, after installing IOS7, I find that my ipad is have more difficulty mirroring itself successfully. Sometimes, it will be shown as being mirrored to my macbook, but nothing shows up on the screen. I find that a reboot solves this issue, but it can be frustrating and disruptive in class.

Also, I typically use a combination of airvideo and airplay to stream shows from my imac to my apple tv. What I could have done before is let airvideo mirror in the background. This lets me use my ipad for other tasks like surfing the web or gaming while the movie is being streamed to my TV.

Now, the process keeps getting cut after a while. It runs fine when airvideo is running as the main app, but not when backgrounded. I wonder if this is a signal that my ipad3 does not have enough memory to run IOS7, airplay and another app simultaneously?

Lastly, if I airplay a youtube clip embedded on a safari tab, then switch to another tab, the airplay process stops. This works while safari is running in the background and I switch to another app though.

Your thoughts? A bug with IOS7, airplay tech in general, or simply a sign that my ipad3's hardware simply can't keep up? :confused:

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Yeah, just noticed today that mirroring FIFA14 to my tv gives me a green screen on the telly.

mvmaastricht

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
My Airplay on iOS 7 is buggy too

I'm a teacher too (iPad 3) and I've got exactly the same problems. It's really extremely annoying and I've never had these issues on iOS 6.
Sometimes Airplay Mirroring is clogging up the whole iPad: every tap takes the iPad at least 3 seconds to react on, as long as I'm Airplaying. Restarting is the only remedy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.