Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I imported some old 1985 VHS home (camera) movies and it suffers from a dark, greenish cast. They were shot indoors and the cameras were not great at the time.

The Final Cut X color correct wizard pushes the exposure up, but takes almost all the color out. Is there a good way to improve this or should I just leave it alone?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I imported some old 1985 VHS home (camera) movies and it suffers from a dark, greenish cast. They were shot indoors and the cameras were not great at the time.

The Final Cut X color correct wizard pushes the exposure up, but takes almost all the color out. Is there a good way to improve this or should I just leave it alone?

You don't have to use the "wizard". You can color grade by hand.

It's best to read up first on how this works. It has a learning curve but you should be able to get what you want. Just don't over do it. Reduced saturation is not bad, maybe the way the world really is

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Thanks, I went to YouTube for a good tutorial. I found that simply adjusting the exposure with the luma graph made a huge difference. Effective color correction was tricky, but I was able to make it acceptable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.