Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I'm looking at ripping out the old, loud, slow, hot stock hard drive in my little PowerBook with an SSD.

After a couple of minutes searching the Kingspec SSD's are by far the cheapest around. However I've heard people in the past on here having issues with these drives. Are they reliable/worth buying over something like a Scorpio Blue?

I've also come across these Samsung SSD's. Are they decent?

Cheers.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Those Samsung drives came out a few years ago. They're not very fast, slower than that IDE bus.

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
Here's what I did. Highly recommended. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1633108/

noodles168

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
Samsung 240 pro

I'm looking at ripping out the old, loud, slow, hot stock hard drive in my little PowerBook with an SSD.

After a couple of minutes searching the Kingspec SSD's are by far the cheapest around. However I've heard people in the past on here having issues with these drives. Are they reliable/worth buying over something like a Scorpio Blue?

I've also come across these Samsung SSD's. Are they decent?

Cheers.

I installed a Samsung pro in my Mac Mini four months ago and it is great. Start up time is very fast and I haven't any operating problems. To offset the somewhat limited capacity 240g I have installed a USB external HD. Now I see you can buy the SSDs reconed. from Samsung for under 150. As an aside I maxed out the memory too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.