Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Picked up a Note 3 to try out for awhile. Its a pain to have to keep my iPhone around to get messages from iPhone users thru iMessage. How do I get those texts to the Note 3? Turning off iMessage didnt work. Do I have to remove my account from the iPhone thru iCloud?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Picked up a Note 3 to try out for awhile. Its a pain to have to keep my iPhone around to get messages from iPhone users thru iMessage. How do I get those texts to the Note 3? Turning off iMessage didnt work. Do I have to remove my account from the iPhone thru iCloud?

iMessage is a proprietary code available only to iPhone/iPad/Mac users. I don't think the API is available for use outside Apple? Well, unless you are the NSA. :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
iMessage is a proprietary code available only to iPhone/iPad/Mac users. I don't think the API is available for use outside Apple? Well, unless you are the NSA. :D

That was not what he was asking.... He doesn't want to use I message!!!!!!!

Ken sign out of imessage on all your devices, computer and phone/mobile. Also sign out of your iCloud compketely and store account. Then sign back in, but leave iMessage off.

It can take a little while for apples server to refresh and see that the telephone number is no longer associated with the account. If you know someone with whom you textm ask them to turn off Imessage in settings and turn it back on again.

----------

How do you like the Note 3? And Android?

Request :- you've asked everyone this so far and they have obliged, but could you stop hijacking threads - just create your own or stick to the Note 3 main thread.

Here we have a poster asking for help and the first response has nothing to do with what he was asking, and the second is more for your benefit and not the op's.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
That was not what he was asking.... He doesn't want to use I message!!!!!!!

Maybe you interpreted his request better or read something more into it? If I was off, then my apologies to the OP. Not sure why the hostility from you towards me though?

----------

Figured it out, thanks

Mind filling me in on your work around. I would like to know. I have both OS's I use at home, but would prefer to have my parents be able to iMessage me on my Nexus, since it is always within arms reach. Thanks.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Mind filling me in on your work around. I would like to know. I have both OS's I use at home, but would prefer to have my parents be able to iMessage me on my Nexus, since it is always within arms reach. Thanks.

You have to go into messages and then click your Apple ID and sign out, do the same in FaceTime. Then whoever is messaging has to make sure that "send as SMS" is turned on under messages on their iPhone.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Request :- you've asked everyone this so far and they have obliged, but could you stop hijacking threads - just create your own or stick to the Note 3 main thread.
Didn't realize I was hijacking. Sincerely sorry.

(...going back into lurking mode now...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.