Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
So just to be clear...if I upgrade through the App Store to Mavericks from my first GM release nothing should really change after upgrading right? The download is over 5 GB but I shouldn't lose another 5 GB of space in the process?

skykingx2

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
i lost an extra 5 gb of space. I have no idea how that happened. how do i get that space back?

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
This isn't correct. Don't spread FUD.

It is correct. It happened to me when I upgraded from Lion to MT and now, when I upgraded to Mavericks from ML.
Prove me wrong, please.

EDIT : You can delete the installer of course but the old files will remain. The installer would clear up some space.

skykingx2

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
i am currently running mavericks now after upgrading from the App Store and I can't find the self installer anywhere on my computer and still have 5 gb mysteriously hiding somewhere on my cpu. where is it so i can get rid of it!

skykingx2

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
When I first installed the GM I did gain about 7 GB of space but now that is all gone and now i lost lot more after upgrading via app store.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
It is correct. It happened to me when I upgraded from Lion to MT and now, when I upgraded to Mavericks from ML.
Prove me wrong, please.

EDIT : You can delete the installer of course but the old files will remain. The installer would clear up some space.

What old files? It's overwriting GM1 with the new release, then it deletes the install files. Only situation where you don't recover the 5gb is if the installer app isn't located under "Applications" and therefore doesn't get deleted.

Anyways, I'm in the process of upgrading now (GM 1 to public release) and will confirm if there's an issue with this particular installer.

skykingx2

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
What old files? It's overwriting GM1 with the new release, then it deletes the install files. Only situation where you don't recover the 5gb is if the installer app isn't located under "Applications" and therefore doesn't get deleted.

Anyways, I'm in the process of upgrading now (GM 1 to public release) and will confirm if there's an issue with this particular installer.

ya the app must be hidden somewhere else. please let me know if you have the same issue

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
ya the app must be hidden somewhere else. please let me know if you have the same issue

Just finished updating my Air. Had 71gb free with GM1 (and before I copied the install app to the hard drive to begin install) and now that it's done, I'm still at 71gb free. Mini not done but I'm guessing I'll get similar results.

Edit: Mini is done. Same thing. Exact amount of free space with GM 1 and after upgrade.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.