Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcroach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Hi,

I downloaded and ran the installer for Mavericks. After the reboot, it got stuck for 30 min on "less than a minute remaining". Following what I found on a topic here, I shut it down by pressing the power button.

When my MacBook Pro restarted, I had screens like it was a first launch of a brand new computer. I tried restarting it many times but I kept getting this weird situation.

The weirdest is that when I swapped to my boot camp partition, all my files appeared to be there still !

Without any similar topics I guessed I was the only one.

I guessed that my only solution left was to back up to my last time machine save just before the Mavericks download and start over. So I'm currently in the restoration process (7 hours to go... Yay !)

Anyways. If someone happens to face the same deal : hope you have a backup bro !

(And if someone has a solution - feel free to share it in this thread)

iFajar

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
I have the exactly same problem! At the moment it is stuck for I guess 1 hour on 'less than one minute remaining'. I will let it sit that way the whole night, hoping that it will resolve itself... Really not keen to get my back up on it again, just made some documents after the backup.

Someone know a harmless solution?

mcroach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Let it run buddy. I guess that it'll eventually finish.
Don't be as impatient as I was. I deeply regret it now.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I have the exactly same problem! At the moment it is stuck for I guess 1 hour on 'less than one minute remaining'. I will let it sit that way the whole night, hoping that it will resolve itself... Really not keen to get my back up on it again, just made some documents after the backup.

Someone know a harmless solution?

Just wait and it will complete.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I was also stuck at "less than one minute" for much longer than a minute. Maybe 10 minutes or so.
And I did the install from an external USB3.0-SSD (containing all installer contents) to the internal SSD on a quad-core Mac mini (16GB RAM). I guess there aren't many faster hardware combinations around that you could possibly do the upgrade (for installation, that is. Of course the Mac mini can't compare to new iMacs CPU-wise)

It seems quite plausible that it takes even much longer when upgrading internal mechanical HDD from an installer located on the same disk.

Total installation time for me was 31 minutes for the upgrade (from hitting "install" button to showing the login screen again).

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
So if I'm stuck on the gray screen after restart for 15+ minutes, I'm not to worry? The install disk is encrypted.... rMBP 2013.

Update: Lost my patience after 90 minutes. Hit the restart button, came back to same blank screen, reset PRAM, came back to same blank screen, reset again, came back to recovery mode, reset again, now went through the restart process and began installing Mavericks. About 45 minutes later I'm back up and running. Phew...

Last edited:

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
I got stuck too and it took much longer than a minute, but it eventually finished. Just be patient and wait it out, it will finish. I'm not sure how long mine took once it said "less than one minute remaining" but it felt like at least 15 mins stuck on that screen.

jc75035

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
I got stuck at less than 1 minute remaining

and shut it down. It restarted as a new computer, and I cannot find my files in finder.

When I look in disk utility and look at available space, my files seems to be there based on the amount of space used.

Any idea how to get to the files since I don't have a recent backup?

Thanks
Johan

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Mine took longer than 10-15 minutes, probably about 1.5 hours. Eventually I rebooted my macbook, then when it loaded up, it loaded as a new computer so I had to make 2-3 accounts because the first time it shut down and I had to redo it all over again. Eventually I got it to boot up all the way and now I'm in my regular account with nothing lost.

mcroach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Everything went back to normal with the TM restore except that I'm now facing issues with TM. Keep zen....

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
I posted in another thread, but for everyone facing this issue, there is a solution that doesn't involve a restore.

1. If your computer is starting up as if it is a new / clean install, create a dummy user (i.e. User name: test).
2. Get to the desktop logged in as this dummy user and navigate to the "Users" folder. In addition to the dummy user you created and the "Shared" folder you should see a folder for your old user account. Take note of the exact spelling including cases of that user account.
3. Go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups
4. Confirm that the user you are trying to access is not in the greyed out list of users.
5. Create a new user with the user name (short name) identical the name of the user's folder you are trying to restore.
6. It will say "a folder with that user already exists, do you want to use the existing folder?" Confirm "Use Existing Folder"
7. Let it run for a minute and you will see the dummy user's name appear in the menu bar, on the right hand side.
8. Go to System Preferences -> Sharing and change the computer name to something other than 'dummy user account's' Computer
9. Congrats, everything should be back to normal. Log out of the dummy account and into your old account, everything should be waiting for you as you left it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.