Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chadmacd

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
we don't need video phones....

what we need is...

we need faster and cheaper computers.
phones would be a waste of r&d.
Bring on the better and faster motherboards, processors, ram and FSB.

my 2 cents.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: I predict...

Originally posted by atomicon
...the new "Digital Lifestyle Device" will be a video phone.

I agree, something like the new Nokia 3650, except with 5GB storage so you could actually make decent-length videos if you really wanted to. And they would of course keep the MP3 player functionality. So then you would have the product of my dreams: and iPodPhoneCam. Like I said in another post, a phone is the only device that I will definitely always carry with me, so the more functionality can be added to a phone the better. At minimum for my next phone I want AddressBook/Calendar, Bluetooth, MP3 player, and at least a still shot camera if not a video camera. Already models from Nokia, SonyEricsson, and Kyocera are almost there, but if Apple can come out with an elegant design for all this functionality then so much the better!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: Re: I predict...

Originally posted by lmalave
I agree, something like the new Nokia 3650, except with 5GB storage so you could actually make decent-length videos if you really wanted to.
A phone with a 5Gb of storage would have to use a 'normal' hard drive if it was actually going to be even close to being afordable, in which case the phone would weigh a ton and no-one would want to lug it around....IMO ;)

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
that's not necessarily true. they're making dramatic advances in smart media and compact flash technoogy.

atomicon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Los Angeles
Actually, what I'm envisioning is not really just a video/still camera, but an actual video-conferencing phone, that would transmit your image to other video-phone users (and their image to you). Also one could call a video phone user with/from a webcam using something like ichat as an interface. You'd be able to take and send pictures or video, play mp3's, keep your calendar and address book, and make video calls to other users whether they're at a desktop with a webcam or at their iPhone. I can just stretch my imagination enough to see this as being possible right now with existing technology...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by e-coli
that's not necessarily true. they're making dramatic advances in smart media and compact flash technoogy.
True, but large capicity ones (which I *think* are only at about 1Gb) are VERY expensive and would make the phone far too expensive....as I said in my last post, that's the reason why they would have to use a 'conventional' HDD.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Re: Re: Re: I predict...

Originally posted by edesignuk

A phone with a 5Gb of storage would have to use a 'normal' hard drive if it was actually going to be even close to being afordable, in which case the phone would weigh a ton and no-one would want to lug it around....IMO ;)

Affordable? Phones today aren't affordable. The T68i that everyone either loves or hates so much is $300... UNLESS... you get it as part of a contract... then it's either free or $50. Apple could get away with an iPod HD if they left the service and most of the marketing SOLELY to Cingular/Verizon/T-Mobile/AT&T, etc. Phone service buyers will go for any contract if they think they'll use even half of it, and they get a cool phone. So, Apple sells their phones to the providers, with a few limited ways of getting one directly from the Apple store, which would be able to be priced however expensively they needed it to be.

I hope that all made sense... I have the flu and am not thinking particularly clearly.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: Re: Re: Re: I predict...

Originally posted by GeeYouEye

Affordable? Phones today aren't affordable. The T68i that everyone either loves or hates so much is $300... UNLESS... you get it as part of a contract... then it's either free or $50.
Fair enough, but if the T68i is $300 off line with it's now 'dated' technology, and up to $50 with contract, then a phone with all the latest kit (large his-res colour screen, camera etc) + large capacity memory would cost upwards of $500 easily and cost significantly more that the T68i is on contract.

Gringo

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2003
South America Chile
Originally posted by atomicon
Actually, what I'm envisioning is not really just a video/still camera, but an actual video-conferencing phone, that would transmit your image to other video-phone users (and their image to you). Also one could call a video phone user with/from a webcam using something like ichat as an interface. You'd be able to take and send pictures or video, play mp3's, keep your calendar and address book, and make video calls to other users whether they're at a desktop with a webcam or at their iPhone. I can just stretch my imagination enough to see this as being possible right now with existing technology...

I'm going for that part... Since the Cell phone has become a big part in our lives and post Palms are going aropund everywhere, I belive the above quote to be true.... The future is about comunications.... Comunications are phones, Tv, Radio, Press (as in magazines and news papers) and Internet. But you have all these things in Internet so most all will be donde through the internet and for that, we will have to have the computer at hme that will manage it all...

We can already make phone calls from the computer, and if you mix that up with the variouse messengers we have out there (including iChat), what do we get... a video phone, but not quite like an app.... I belive that it will be an app like said iPhone with the actual iPhone...

Basically, you'll be able to make a normal phone call throght the iPhone to normal lan based phones and cell phones and to video phones and plsu share all the other stuff you have...

Just hope it's not as expensive as the iPod... At least for me...

G.-

ps: this is my first post here with you guys... have seen many recomandations to come here... so I did.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
more devices

I really hope we see some phones or PDAs. I am a desiger and run one of the new dual Power PCs. Its sure is fast enought right now. don't tell me we need ever week a new, faster mac. I should start leasing the G4s every second quarter to keep up then. LOL :)

No seriously. It would be cool to see some gagets that make life easier. Maybe all HD TV screens across the board or phones etc. .

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.