PDA

View Full Version : Sorting folders first in Mavericks Finder?

funkyfresh69
Jun 13, 2013, 02:29 AM
Does anyone know how to do this in 10.9? The hack of adding a space before "folders" in the plist file that used to work doesn't anymore?

D A
Jun 13, 2013, 05:07 AM
I did the hack with the space before and it works for me. Remember that the file needs to be binary for it to work.

5t3f4n
Jun 13, 2013, 12:49 PM
Bump for interest.
I was hoping I wouldn't need apps like TotalFinder now that tabs are introduced in Finder.
But I still need a solution for "folders on top".

Krazy Bill
Jun 13, 2013, 05:49 PM
There is no change in how Folders are started. You can however sort by "Tags" now.

5t3f4n
Jun 14, 2013, 06:39 AM
I did the hack with the space before and it works for me. Remember that the file needs to be binary for it to work.

Would you mind writing/linking a little guide on how to do this?

benwiggy
Jun 14, 2013, 06:42 AM
In any version of OS X, if you sort by Kind, folders will be separate.

D A
Jun 14, 2013, 07:52 AM
Would you mind writing/linking a little guide on how to do this?

Sure

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ (or whatever language you're running)
sudo plutil -convert xml1 InfoPlist.strings
sudo nano InfoPlist.strings (edit folder here)
sudo plutil -convert binary1 InfoPlist.strings

benwiggy
Jun 14, 2013, 08:09 AM
It's worth pointing out that with Apple's increased reliance on code-signing to verify the integrity of apps, modifying the Finder directly in this way may you cause you "trouble".

5t3f4n
Jun 16, 2013, 06:50 PM
In any version of OS X, if you sort by Kind, folders will be separate.

Bunched together is not enough. They have to be first, before any files.

Sure

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ (or whatever language you're running)
sudo nano InfoPlist.strings (edit folder here)

Thanks. I'll give this a try.

Lolito
Jun 16, 2013, 08:20 PM
I used Totalfinder for a long while, and then switched to Xtrafinder, which is free and even better, as it works in such a similar way to an internet browser, and you can for example open new tabs doing middle click, like in firefox. Extra finder doesn't work now, adn i guess total finder neither. OSX finder still sucks big time...

5t3f4n
Jun 17, 2013, 12:54 PM
I used Totalfinder for a long while, and then switched to Xtrafinder, which is free and even better, as it works in such a similar way to an internet browser, and you can for example open new tabs doing middle click, like in firefox. Extra finder doesn't work now, adn i guess total finder neither. OSX finder still sucks big time...

The method described above works on Mavericks (tried it myself) and tabs are already built in.
That takes care of most of my needs. What else do you need TotalFinder or XtraFinder for?

w0lf
Jun 17, 2013, 03:28 PM
That takes care of most of my needs. What else do you need TotalFinder or XtraFinder for?

I dunno but I liked to use all these features pretty regularly

Hide desktop
Colored sidebar
Side by side tabs
Automatically adjusted column width
New document context menu
Copy path context menu
Show Hidden Items menu bar toggle
Return of cmd+x cmd+v to move an item
Return would open and cmd+return to rename

Cougarcat
Jun 17, 2013, 07:06 PM
I dunno but I liked to use all these features pretty regularly

Hide desktop
Colored sidebar
Side by side tabs
Automatically adjusted column width
New document context menu
Copy path context menu
Show Hidden Items menu bar toggle
Return of cmd+x cmd+v to move an item
Return would open and cmd+return to rename

I really thought the Finder sidebar would get recolored in 10.9, following in iTunes' footsteps. Well, there's still time.

Lolito
Jun 18, 2013, 02:46 AM
Problem now is that finder has been probably re-written, so i guess all these 3rd party apps won't work anymore...

zabagabe
Oct 22, 2013, 09:05 PM
Hi all,

Since upgrading to Mavericks folders no longer show up first in Finder, which I find extremely annoying. I followed the old " folders" trick as follows:

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/
sudo nano InfoPlist.strings

And inserted a space before " folder" in the <string></string>. But that still doesn't work. It shows there's a space there, but that doesn't resort finder.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd LOVE to get it back to the older arrangement.

zombiecakes
Oct 22, 2013, 09:21 PM
did you try a ~ or some other symbol? I dont think a space worked in 10.8, I had to use ~

zabagabe
Oct 22, 2013, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I tried both * and ~ and neither did anything...

RedAntisocial
Oct 22, 2013, 10:52 PM
It DOES work, but only if you're arranging by Name etc. If you're like me and want to arrange by Kind with Folders at the top instead of applications it doesn't work.

I'm still poking about.

zabagabe
Oct 23, 2013, 10:06 AM
Yeah, it works if you sort by name, but not by kind, which is how I did it in the past...

zombiecakes
Oct 23, 2013, 08:13 PM
Yeah, it works if you sort by name, but not by kind, which is how I did it in the past...

are you sure? when I sort by name it just does it alphabetically with folders not being grouped together

RedAntisocial
Oct 23, 2013, 08:30 PM
I believe they are referring to sorting alphabetically with the old folder hack in place. If you don't have that, folders won't be at the top period.

zombiecakes
Oct 23, 2013, 09:12 PM
I believe they are referring to sorting alphabetically with the old folder hack in place. If you don't have that, folders won't be at the top period.

I did that as well, I dont think it does anything because in list view the "kind" column used to reflect the change you made to the string, now after relaunching Finder it doesnt change and still says "Folder" instead of "~Folder"

KoolAid-Drink
Oct 23, 2013, 09:14 PM
I do this by pressing COMMAND+J in the folder I want with pictures and folders (folders on top, pictures sorted in ABC order), then in "Arrange by", I choose Name, then "Sort by", I choose Kind. This will then sort my folder with the folders first, followed by the pictures in ABC order.

gwang73
Oct 23, 2013, 09:15 PM
Are you guys also noticing that after a reboot, if you use the column view and arrange by kind, it is not in alphabetical order? If you change to a different folder and switch back, it then sorts alphabetically.

zombiecakes
Oct 23, 2013, 09:43 PM
I do this by pressing COMMAND+J in the folder I want with pictures and folders (folders on top, pictures sorted in ABC order), then in "Arrange by", I choose Name, then "Sort by", I choose Kind. This will then sort my folder with the folders first, followed by the pictures in ABC order.

sorting by kind sorts the file type alphabetically, if all you have are image files the folders will be first because F for "folder" comes before J, G, and P for the different image types. Do it with folders and AVI files (or DMG's), AVI's will be at the top.

RedAntisocial
Oct 23, 2013, 09:51 PM
I did that as well, I dont think it does anything because in list view the "kind" column used to reflect the change you made to the string, now after relaunching Finder it doesnt change and still says "Folder" instead of "~Folder"

Right. I've never seen it update the "Folders" text in "Arrange by Kind" it simply treats objects that ARE Folders as though they have a space or a ~ in front of them.

In previous versions it worked when dealing with "Arrange by Kind", now however, it doesn't. It still does the trick if you "Arrange by Name" which is short of what I desire.

Stefan1115
Oct 24, 2013, 09:18 AM
So, it's still impossible to put folders on top? Used to have Totalfinder to do this in Snow Leopard... Thought Apple would have fixed it in Mavericks... :(

pathi
Oct 24, 2013, 11:00 AM
Use the new Tag feature to tag folders with _ or some other character. Then arrange by Tag. This works,but you have to add tags to your folders, which can be done en masse. I'd like a better solution, but this works in the meantime.

xgman
Oct 24, 2013, 12:02 PM
The xtrafinder update will hopefully bring this back whenever the dev releases one.

Stefan1115
Oct 26, 2013, 01:08 AM
Any word on that update?

Stefan1115
Nov 1, 2013, 03:06 AM
Still no way to sort the folders on top, hopefully Xtrafinder soon comes with a new update!

Joe G
Nov 16, 2013, 09:57 AM
Still no way to sort the folders on top, hopefully Xtrafinder soon comes with a new update!

Xtrafinder update .18 out Nov. 9 2013 still doesn't list folders first when sorting by kind.

Thanks zabagabe, at least now if I sort by name the folders are on top.

Vladas
Nov 19, 2013, 05:29 PM
Yes, it's possible to have folders always on top in 10.9. But you need arrange by Kind for it in View Options, and also, in your system preferences, setup Spotlight search results, so you have folders on top there too.

daglish.a
Dec 31, 2013, 10:56 AM
This problem has now percolated down to OSX 10.8.5.

Wish they'd stop recruiting from Microsoft.

velvet man
Jan 7, 2014, 07:33 PM
I came across this thread while google searching for an answer to this problem. I found a solution at this link: http://www.howtogeek.com/67100/force-your-mac-to-put-folders-on-top-of-files-windows-style/

I can confirm that this worked for me 100% in OS X 10.9.1. The only thing I did differently than what was shown in the tutorial is that I used PlistEdit Pro to make the file change instead of TextEdit, but that really shouldn't matter.

I also have Sort set to Kind, but the AVI files (and others before F in the alphabet) are no longer listed above folders. Folders appear first across the board now.

platini76
Jan 10, 2014, 08:01 PM
for me it does not work, some files like zip adobe and other are before folders.... why??

probably I have to use italian.lproj

w0lf
Jan 10, 2014, 10:27 PM
Probably easiest to just use XtraFinder (http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/). It supports this feature.

Majkl2
Jan 12, 2014, 08:46 AM
Hi guys, there is an easier solution to this sorting problem. Open any folder, right click in it and choose Show View Options. After that set it up like this: Arrange by: Name, Sort by: Kind. That’s it. Folders shown before files alphabetically sorted.

Majkl2
Jan 12, 2014, 08:47 AM
Hi guys, there is an easier solution to this sorting problem. Open any folder, right click in it and choose Show View Options. After that set it up like this: Arrange by: Name, Sort by: Kind. Thatís it. Folders shown before files + alphabetically sorted.

Zapruder
Jan 22, 2014, 07:57 PM
Hi guys, there is an easier solution to this sorting problem. Open any folder, right click in it and choose Show View Options. After that set it up like this: Arrange by: Name, Sort by: Kind. Thatís it. Folders shown before files + alphabetically sorted.

Now copy an app into that folder and report back to us what's on top of the finder window. ;)

SlCKB0Y
Jan 22, 2014, 08:42 PM
Probably easiest to just use XtraFinder (http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/). It supports this feature.

It is, plus it does tabs better than the builtin finder ones.