Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
For all the early adopters I am curious how is the new preview app in Mavericks? It has changed (sometimes drastically) in every release of OSX (at least since 10.4) and because I depend on my Mac for reading and annotating pdfs for work it is very important to me.

So just curious if there are any changes.

In particular

1) Is the skeumorphic highlighter texture (looks like a physical highlighter going over a rough piece of paper) gone now? - introduced in ML.

2) Can you choose custom highlighter colors (I find the apple default ones ugly and dull) - You could do this in Lion and earlier but was removed in ML.

3) Can you properly view annotations and notes in Mavericks that were made in ML or earlier versions of the preview app.

4) This will sound weird but when you scroll through a pdf using just arrow keys (not the trackpad) does each keypress cause a small (like ML) or large (like Lion) jump in scrolling down the page. I was so happy that ML fixed this back to the way it had always been (Lion was irritating) and I'm hoping Apple hasn't unfixed it.

Screenshots are welcome!

I would figure this out myself but I've been instructed by work NOT to upgrade to mavericks yet because IT says it isn't working properly with our servers. And I am curious about the little things most people don't cover in the reviews.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I'd also be interested to know what is new. I couldn't find anything online.

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
For one, it no longer works at all with files over 100mb. Even on my iMac with 32GB of RAM it crashes.

They also changed how bookmarks are handled, the bookmark menu is missing.

denisb1

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
preview app

After upgrading to Mavericks, "preview app" no longer works. I would hate to go to Adobe Reader as my main PDF reader.

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
My MacBook Air complete died on me last night so had to re-install ML. Preview App is now not working in ML with same errors as it had in Mavericks.

denisb1

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
After upgrading to Mavericks, "preview app" no longer works. I would hate to go to Adobe Reader as my main PDF reader.

OK here it is folks!!! I installed 10.9 right after it became available on the 22nd and it refused to run Calendar, Contacts, Maps, Ibooks, Appstore, software update and many others. At times the icons in the dock would disappear. To make a long story short, I reinstalled 2 more times with the same result and it wasn't until Wednesday afternoon when I reinstalled a third time that everything worked perfectly.
The only thing that I can attribute to this difficulty is corrupt downloads probably due to overburdened servers. So what do i know!!!!!

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
For one thing, I can't find the option in "edit" to crop out a custom form. This is driving me insane.. No instant alpha either.. I used that a lot with certain images that I wanted transparent backgrounds..

Any idea how I can access those features in Mavericks?

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
1) No. Still skeumorphic.

2) No.

3) Yes.

4) Scrolling using the arrow keys moves it line by line (small), so they've retained the ML behavior.

For all the early adopters I am curious how is the new preview app in Mavericks? It has changed (sometimes drastically) in every release of OSX (at least since 10.4) and because I depend on my Mac for reading and annotating pdfs for work it is very important to me.

So just curious if there are any changes.

In particular

1) Is the skeumorphic highlighter texture (looks like a physical highlighter going over a rough piece of paper) gone now? - introduced in ML.

2) Can you choose custom highlighter colors (I find the apple default ones ugly and dull) - You could do this in Lion and earlier but was removed in ML.

3) Can you properly view annotations and notes in Mavericks that were made in ML or earlier versions of the preview app.

4) This will sound weird but when you scroll through a pdf using just arrow keys (not the trackpad) does each keypress cause a small (like ML) or large (like Lion) jump in scrolling down the page. I was so happy that ML fixed this back to the way it had always been (Lion was irritating) and I'm hoping Apple hasn't unfixed it.

Screenshots are welcome!

I would figure this out myself but I've been instructed by work NOT to upgrade to mavericks yet because IT says it isn't working properly with our servers. And I am curious about the little things most people don't cover in the reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.