Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I had iOS 7.0 on my iPad 3 and it was pretty much laggy and hated using it. After 7.0.3 it is much smoother now and more usable. The keyboard lag is gone and graphics animation is much improved! Did not expect this from a point release. :D

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Really? What did you guys do? Reset? Or just update? My iPad 3 is still almost the same, and bugs stay, as the safari pinch background blur issue wich bugs me every time. Even with animations off it does this behind the fade out. Seriously I don't get it apple, you should have seen the bug yourself by now!!!

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I really want to upgrade on my iPad 3, I hear such horror stories it worries. It's fast and slick on 6.0.3 and I don't want slower performance.

Mess

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
I am going to install this later today when I get home from work so will post results.

On my iPhone 4s it is much much better. So happy with this so far.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I'm still on the sidelines on this, I too keep hearing horror stories regarding 7 on the ipad3. Maybe 7.1 will be better, my ipad 3 is jailbroken so ios7xx has to be worth giving it up....not quite yet.

trocLas

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2013
My iPad 3 isn't jailbroken (it has 6.1.3). Do you think I should update it to 7.0.3, or should I wait for a possible 6.1.3 jailbreak (that developers say that it will be released till the end of 2013)?

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
Sticking with 6.1.3 until I hear more positive comments on iPad 3 & 4 being fluid to use again.

I really do like IOS 7 on my iPhone 5, but tried the GM on my iPad 3 for a few days and just could not get over the stuttering between apps. Also, it felt like folders were just a blown up iPhone folder. It felt like IOS 7 was not really optimized for the iPad yet.

Hoping Apple will further "polish" the iPad experience...

Mess

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
Well, 7.0.3 is now on my ipad. Seems a little more responsive and opening/closing apps is so much better with all the animation turned off.

Its by far a decent improvement. Would recomend it.

trocLas

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2013
Well, 7.0.3 is now on my ipad. Seems a little more responsive and opening/closing apps is so much better with all the animation turned off.

Its by far a decent improvement. Would recomend it.

Do you recomend updating my iPad 3 from 6.1.3 to 7.0.3?
Is the pinch to close animation (the one when you use your 5 fingers to close an app) still jerky (in the final part of the animation)?

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Is the pinch to close animation (the one when you use your 5 fingers to close an app) still jerky (in the final part of the animation)?

Yes, it is still jerky.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Ipad 3 with 7.0.3 more usable!

Do you have reduced motion turned on or off?

I have it off and its smooth and quick.

It doesn't matter whether reduced motion is on or off. The jerky motion at the end of the animation is there either way. It is less noticeable with reduced motion on.

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin

Still jerky and broken! I hate to admit but they tricked me into buying an ipad air now, even though I was completely happy with my ipad 3 with ios 6 on it before, but now.. I barely even use it anymore because it such a big annoyance how everything stutters and lags.. :( also the battery just drains when the ipad is in standby like 3 % an hour.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Still jerky and broken! I hate to admit but they tricked me into buying an ipad air now, even though I was completely happy with my ipad 3 with ios 6 on it before, but now.. I barely even use it anymore because it such a big annoyance how everything stutters and lags.. :( also the battery just drains when the ipad is in standby like 3 % an hour.

Pinch to close is jerky on all iPads, even the iPad Air. It has noting to do with performance, it's just the way the animation is.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Seriously? How could something like this ever pass apples quality control? I mean they can't sell a new product with broken animations on it or are they android now, just 2 years after jobs? I'm pretty sure I saw it on iPad 4 and it was at least better, since it does readjust the wallpaper but at least it doesn't do the blur bug thing it does on iPad 3 since it doesn't even support the blurred backgrounds..

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
pinch to zoom isnt really jerky in itself, its more like the wallpaper afterwards takes a split second to appear behind it which makes it look jerky imo

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I recently did a fresh restore to 7.0.3 using itunes and set up as new. My iPad 3 is noticeably smoother and turning on reduce motion helps.

But its not always butter smooth and it does lag out. I notice lag when I do the following. Scrolling through the multitasking app tiles then tapping on an app, sometimes scrolling up and down on web pages, sometimes rotating the device, often typing on the keyboard, sometimes gesture closing apps and bringing down the notification center over the keyboard. It does kinda feel like android lag and I'll probably upgrade next year if the iPad has touch i.d.

I think its the combination of the a5x processor and retina display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.