Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Hi.

Background info:
I'm picking up a new rMBP and as such my version of FCP Studio won't work on it. I'm not interested in updated to the new FCP as I don't do much editing anymore, but I'm transferring a lot of old VHS tapes into Digital ATM onto my MacBook Pro 2009 via my Sony PD150 (Mini DV tape) and a FW 400 to 800 adaptor.

My Question: Can I throw another adaptor (FW 800 to ThunderBolt) onto the already adapted original firewire cable and then plug it into the new rMBP and log the videos in iMovie?

I haven't used iMovie since the HD version, but I'm guessing it shouldn't be a problem.

I know all my equipment is old, but I'm out of the editing and shooting game for good and really want to tie up all my loose ends.

thanks.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Hi.

Background info:
I'm picking up a new rMBP and as such my version of FCP Studio won't work on it. I'm not interested in updated to the new FCP as I don't do much editing anymore, but I'm transferring a lot of old VHS tapes into Digital ATM onto my MacBook Pro 2009 via my Sony PD150 (Mini DV tape) and a FW 400 to 800 adaptor.

My Question: Can I throw another adaptor (FW 800 to ThunderBolt) onto the already adapted original firewire cable and then plug it into the new rMBP and log the videos in iMovie?

I haven't used iMovie since the HD version, but I'm guessing it shouldn't be a problem.

I know all my equipment is old, but I'm out of the editing and shooting game for good and really want to tie up all my loose ends.

thanks.
Yes you can throw another adapter on it...think of it as a regular old FireWire port...its been done and documented. Also why can't you use Final Cut Pro Studio? Last I thought it wasn't power pc or something....?..

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Yes you can throw another adapter on it...think of it as a regular old FireWire port...its been done and documented. Also why can't you use Final Cut Pro Studio? Last I thought it wasn't power pc or something....?..

Thanks.

Yes, I went ahead and got a FW800 to TB cable and it works perfectly.

As for FCP Studio not working on the new rMBP... I thought I had read it doesn't work.

AND you seem to be correct re FCP Studio. Although it is claimed it doesn't work, it does from a thread on Apple Support.

Thanks again.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
As for FCP Studio not working on the new rMBP... I thought I had read it doesn't work.

AND you seem to be correct re FCP Studio. Although it is claimed it doesn't work, it does from a thread on Apple Support.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this would only be true with versions of Final Cut Studio prior to FCS3 (which all use PPC-based installers instead of an Intel-based one). Apple eliminated their Rosetta emulator starting with 10.7 (I think).

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this would only be true with versions of Final Cut Studio prior to FCS3 (which all use PPC-based installers instead of an Intel-based one). Apple eliminated their Rosetta emulator starting with 10.7 (I think).

Late to the show but yes Apple emliminated the Rosetta emulator at 10.7...if not 10.7 then 10.8, but pretty sure it was 10.7....regardless its not likely that youll be able to run PPC-based stuff on any modern machines unless your running something prior to 10.7~. I guess I assumed the OP had FCS3 or higher, regardless seams to be working for the OP.

@OP, Glad I could help! I know you probably have your reasons but don't give up on video! Even if you just do fun personal stuff...anyways happy hunting (er capturing! :p)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.