PDA

View Full Version : 12' ibook 1.5gb ram vs 12" powerbook 512mb

JessFactor
Dec 7, 2005, 03:17 PM
Has anybody done any speed comparisons between a new 12" powerbook w/512mb ram and a 12" ibook w/1.5 gigs? An ibook w/maxed out ram sounds like a good alternative to the 12" powerbook and it's still a fe hundred bucks cheaper. I was wondering if the extra gig of ram would ofset the slow hard drive.

crazycat
Dec 7, 2005, 03:20 PM
Well o dpnt really know, but i would think it would be pretty damn close. I have found that having more RAM really speeds up any mac. It all depends on what you want to do, anything with heavy use then get the PB if you just gona do light work then the ibook with 1.5 is an overkill imo a 512mb or 1GB is fine.

Anawrahta
Dec 7, 2005, 03:37 PM
Just for comparison.....I never see the beach ball, and I run Photoshop, Golive, 3 different web browsers, iTunes, and a bunch of other small apps all concurrently. I also use my laptop as a desktop thanks to the screen hack and I find it as fast or faster for almost all the things I use it for than my 2.4ghz Dell, with the exception being games. My bro has the PB, and the only real advantage that it seems to have is DVI out...which is nice for some monitors. Speedwise I believe my comp edges his out just a bit. However he can run WOW a little bit faster than me.

JessFactor
Dec 7, 2005, 04:58 PM
Anawrahta...did you put a 7200 rpm drive in your ibook? I did a double take when I looked at your sig. I'm trying to find out if the maxed out ram makes up for the slow hard drive.

madmaxmedia
Dec 7, 2005, 06:00 PM
If you can comfortably afford the PB, I might recommend it still over the iBook. The screen is brighter, and the PB keyboard is the best laptop keyboard Mac or Win.

Amazon has a $150 rebate right now too.

dmw007
Dec 7, 2005, 06:58 PM
A maxed out 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4 w/ 1.5GB RAM should be faster than a stock 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 for the majority of tasks.