Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Hi,

I posted a while ago about whether I should clean install Mavericks or just update, we'll I decided to update like I did for for Lion and Mountain Lion and I'm not impressed.

It is laggy and the animations keep freezing. I want to create a bootable drive and clean install the system but I had some concerns...

- if I boot and erase my HDD and reformat it will I loose the recovery partition that came with it when I bought it with Snow Leopard? Will the new installation create a new one?

-Will time machine let me choose which Apps I want to restore? I'm not doing a full restore, just documents and certain apps and iTunes.

I am currently using File Vault, should I turn this off before the process or does it matter is I erase the drive? I will deactivate it later.

Thank you all, I trust your inputs. Also if any one wanted to post how to make the bootable drove I would appreciate it, if not I have found other sources.

Thank you all.

Traverse

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The Mavericks USB install guide (thanks to TyWebb) will create a Mavericks recovery partition. https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18187499/

As to FileVault, so long as you have a working username and password for it, keeping it active shouldn't be an issue. If it were me, I would turn it off just the same. The least amount of extra variables in a new installation the better, as far as I am concerned.

As to your installation, are you sure your Mac has finished indexing? If not, that will definitely cause the machine to lag, until it is finished.

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Related question -- I upgraded to Mavericks. Do I need to recreate that partition? Do you have to rebuild the partition with each major upgrade??

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
In all honesty you no longer need a recovery partition providing you have an internet connection.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The Mavericks USB install guide (thanks to TyWebb) will create a Mavericks recovery partition. https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18187499/

As to FileVault, so long as you have a working username and password for it, keeping it active shouldn't be an issue. If it were me, I would turn it off just the same. The least amount of extra variables in a new installation the better, as far as I am concerned.

As to your installation, are you sure your Mac has finished indexing? If not, that will definitely cause the machine to lag, until it is finished.

Thank you for the reply, perhaps the indexing is it, I will give it more time, but I have never experienced this on an upgrade. Swiping in launch pad freezes and I get the beachball when it sitting idle. I never expected this to happen, but aw well...

In all honesty you no longer need a recovery partition providing you have an internet connection.

That is true, but I like having one just in case.

So if wipe my drive and install mavericks the installation will create a new recovery drive?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thank you for the reply, perhaps the indexing is it, I will give it more time, but I have never experienced this on an upgrade. Swiping in launch pad freezes and I get the beachball when it sitting idle. I never expected this to happen, but aw well...

That is true, but I like having one just in case.

So if wipe my drive and install mavericks the installation will create a new recovery drive?
As your last question, if you use Ty's method, it will create a recovery partition.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013

that is true, if you do not use any features that require a recovery partition. for example "find my mac".

plus having a recovery partition saves you time from downloading the massive file everytime.

----------

As your last question, if you use Ty's method, it will create a recovery partition.

dang it! yup I did a clean a instill using another method of USB bootable. saw no recovery partition after.

now I gotta do it again with Ty's method, GRRRR how comes a few more hours.

can you confirm me again that Ty's method will automatically create a new mavericks recovery partition. thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.