Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
A friend bought an iMac today and we're trying to figure out how to get her notes that were synced with her iPhone and iTunes on her Windows PC into iCloud for her new Mac. iPhone Notes app has 3 account choices. All, from PC, and iCloud. I assumed her notes were being saved to iCloud this since she has an iCloud account (Apple ID) on her iPhone but realized she didn't have Notes on her iPhone set to sync this whole time. We turned Notes sync on in her iPhone and were forced to create an iCloud.com addy which I don't understand because this whole time she has had an iCloud account via her hotmail addy.

Anyway, what should we do?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
iCloud stores notes in a special folder in the mail account (only visible if you access it via IMAP using an email client), that's probably why you were forced to create an iCloud email address.

What was she using to manage the notes on Windows before? AFAIK there is no easy way to import notes into the Mac Notes app in bulk. So I'm afraid you will have to copy the notes one by one.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
iCloud stores notes in a special folder in the mail account (only visible if you access it via IMAP using an email client), that's probably why you were forced to create an iCloud email address.

What was she using to manage the notes on Windows before? AFAIK there is no easy way to import notes into the Mac Notes app in bulk. So I'm afraid you will have to copy the notes one by one.
I don't think she was managing the notes on her PC. They were just there as a result of syncing via iPhone 5 in iTunes for Windows. It's weird that iCloud doesn't recognise the PC notes even the the iPhone Notes app does.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I don't think she was managing the notes on her PC. They were just there as a result of syncing via iPhone 5 in iTunes for Windows. It's weird that iCloud doesn't recognise the PC notes even the the iPhone Notes app does.
Well, this is intentional. The iPhone Notes app supports multiple separate cloud accounts (e.g. I have notes on iCloud and on a corporate Exchange account) and notes that are only locally stored. You can copy notes from one account to the other on the phone, but only one by one, which is of course quite cumbersome if you have more than a few.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.