Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frost7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
A word of warning to anyone else who remotely administers Macs. The 3.7.0 ARD update that dropped alongside Mavericks screws up ARD's ability to communicate with ARD Client through OSX's built-in firewall. Even if you have everything configured properly, it'll block it anyway.

Makes Macs that upgrade from ARD Client 3.6.2 to ARD 3.7.0 unreachable unless you completely turn off the firewall.

Haven't found a workaround yet that doesn't involve the firewall being turned off.

This is under 10.8.5 Mountain Lion. I'll be updating one of the machines to Mavericks shortly; I doubt that will change ARD's behavior, but we'll see.

BenL

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
reported to Apple engineering

I talked to tech support at Apple and reported that "ARD 3.5.3" on OS X 10.6.8 does not work with "ARD 3.7.0. client" on OS X 10.8.5

They said that they were passing the issue on to engineering.

skogarfoss

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
workaround

Not even ARD is blocked on my headless MacMini, also my latest ipad-screens-app will now be blocked with firewall on.
Downgrade from 3.7 to 3.6.2 did not work.

I found three workarounds. Two work with ssh-connections:
For my iPad:
http://help.edovia.com/kb/ios-general-troubleshooting/apple-remote-desktop-361-issues-updated (also works with my 362 version)

For my mac:I use "Jump Desktop" with a SSH-Server (remote-login must be active)

the third one is to turn firewall off/on with a applescript (e.g.with a mail rule; see attachment) and then open ard.

and maybe there is a fourth way (maybe) I reinstalled ard 3.7 on my Mavericks-PowerMac, reinstalled 3.6.2 on my Mountain-Lion-MacMini and now it works again - as if nothing happened...

Attachments

• applescript.txt
    827 bytes · Views: 574
Last edited:

dudemanla

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009
remote desktop client update 3.7.0 in Mavericks

Can anybody please tell me why I am getting an update available in Mountain lion for remote desktop client 3.7.0? I don't even have Remote Desktop installed so why would this be coming up
I said mavericks but I meant to write M. Lion in the title of this post

BenL

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
ARD Client is part of the base install for OS X (controlled with Remote Mgt. under Sharing)

mcseufer

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Assuming Apple Remote Desktop has been updated to 3.7 on client and server machines:

On the Mac you want to connect to:

• System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall Options -> Locate screensharingd, highlight it and remove it via the subtraction symbol - > Click OK
  • System Preferences -> Sharing -> Untick "Remote Management" -> Close window -> Re-open Sharing window -> Re-tick "Remote Management"
  • You'll be prompted about allowing incoming connections from "screensharingd" -> allow incomming connections -> close window

This should enable ARD to connect with Mac OS X's built-in firewall turned on.

Note: Not sure if ALL of these steps are needed, but this is what worked for me.

I suspect Maverick's ARD preferences files were modified or preference locations might have been changed and initial settings weren't copied over correctly when we updated from an earlier Mac OX version to Mavericks. Pure speculation there, however.

Hope this helps everyone.

Michael

BenL

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
There is no problem with ARD 3.7 and ARD client 3.7

The problem is with earlier versions of ARD and ARD client 3.7

Those of us still running OS X 10.6.8 can only run ARD 3.5.3 which is SUPPOSED to be able to work with the 3.7.0 client.

ARD 3.6.2 client works fine on OS X 10.8 so it seems not to be a problem with the OS.

I expect to see ARD client 3.7.1 in the not too distant future.
PS - insert your favorite value for "not too distant" :)

Drharrington

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Assuming Apple Remote Desktop has been updated to 3.7 on client and server machines:

On the Mac you want to connect to:

• System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall Options -> Locate screensharingd, highlight it and remove it via the subtraction symbol - > Click OK
  • System Preferences -> Sharing -> Untick "Remote Management" -> Close window -> Re-open Sharing window -> Re-tick "Remote Management"
  • You'll be prompted about allowing incoming connections from "screensharingd" -> allow incomming connections -> close window

This should enable ARD to connect with Mac OS X's built-in firewall turned on.

Note: Not sure if ALL of these steps are needed, but this is what worked for me.

I suspect Maverick's ARD preferences files were modified or preference locations might have been changed and initial settings weren't copied over correctly when we updated from an earlier Mac OX version to Mavericks. Pure speculation there, however.

Hope this helps everyone.

Michael

After reboot -- this worked !! Thanks :)

Lukehart

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2005
Not being prompted "to allow incoming connections" when ticking Remote Management. Can someone remind me what other setting is needed to show this prompt?

Thanks,

~ Lee

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.