Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I have a Firewire drive connected to my iMac and sharing enabled. 2 MacBook Airs then connect wirelessly to the same network and backup to the drive.

It has worked perfectly for the last couple of years with Lion and Mountain Lion.

Yesterday I upgraded to Mavericks and now neither laptop can see the shared drive in Time Machine, although the drive displays quite happily in Finder.

I have disabled and re-enabled sharing. Booted and re-plugged the drive in and still when I go to Time Machine preferences and select drive, nothing is listed.

Any ideas?

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
That may be the case but all my shared time machine drives no longer work. The macs just don't see them anymore unless I connect to the server using AFP. Then after sleep or a reboot it fails again.

It just doesn't fall back from SMB to AFP.

Never ever had time machine sharing issues in ML now after 3 days of constant troubleshooting I still can't get it to work reliably on mavericks.

normm

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2013
use network drive in time machine in Mavericks

My research leads me ot this….

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...fp-file-sharing-to-smb2-in-os-x-109-mavericks

Still can’t get it to work properly though!

Mavericks now mounts network drives as SMB rather than AFP by default: time machine needs AFP. Find out the afp address by going to the "sharing" system preference panel on the machine that hosts the disk you want to use. It's listed there. Copy that address, which is "afp://<something>", and use it in the Finder menu item "Go>Connect to Server". Once the disk you need is connected, it will show up as a choice in the time machine system preference.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Thanks it does and it works fine until my machine wakes again from sleep and then one again the backup fails and I have to go to finder, click on the backup disk and then go to Time Machine and start the backup and then it backs up fine again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.