Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metatrox

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
** Changed to Mac Nano **

LOL well I was bored and messing with some iPad wallpapers and ended up working this up. Just a fun little concept. Enjoy!

Original
Mac-Macro.jpg

Full Size Image

Another Version
Mac-Macro2.jpg

Full Size Image

Last edited:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I was looking at the teardown of the MacMini recently and thought "what a LOT of wasted space and uncompressed tech". In today's world the MacMini is actually about twice as large as it could be.

There will probably be a redesign and reduction in size coming before 2016. When the SSDs become cheap, they can really tighten up that design to be a third as big by getting rid of all the space for drives. Then your design could emerge.

sbk1799

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Based on the redesign of the AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule (and new Mac Pro), I wouldn't be surprised if the next mini has a vertical form factor.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I was looking at the teardown of the MacMini recently and thought "what a LOT of wasted space and uncompressed tech". In today's world the MacMini is actually about twice as large as it could be.

My Mac Mini gets plenty warm as it is. Not sure I'd want it more compact with less room for air to circulate.

----------

LOL well I was bored and messing with some iPad wallpapers and ended up working this up. Just a fun little concept. Enjoy!

Full Size

You know macro means large, don't you?

metatrox

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010

There will probably be a redesign and reduction in size coming before 2016. When the SSDs become cheap, they can really tighten up that design to be a third as big by getting rid of all the space for drives. Then your design could emerge.
LOL You never know huh? Things just keep getting smaller and smaller.

Based on the redesign of the AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule (and new Mac Pro), I wouldn't be surprised if the next mini has a vertical form factor.
Yeah was inspired by the Mac Pro and Time Capsule.

My Mac Mini gets plenty warm as it is. Not sure I'd want it more compact with less room for air to circulate.
----------

You know macro means large, don't you?
Connectivity = 1 Thunderbolt port. :(
Perhaps something similar to the Mac Pro cooling?
LOl Thanks for the info! I don't know why I though Macro was small. Must have been thinking Micro. Updated image to Nano.

..and 1x HDMI, and 1x Ethernet, SD Card Slot, 4x USB 3.0.. That's GOOD!
I dont know about 4xUSB but I think the others could be possible.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004

I don't know what teardown you were looking at, but having been inside my own Mini, I can assure you, there is little to no redundant space in there.
You can get an extra HD in there, and maybe a couple of ants, and that is it.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
The Intel NUC (D54250WYK) is roughly 4.5" x 4.5" x 1.5". It's that small because it uses flash storage and the same CPU that's in the Macbook Air (i5-4250U), which is perfect for an HTPC and everyday tasks. It's a great example of the direction Apple needs to go with the next Mini. It wouldn't necessarily have to have a fancy aluminum enclosure with chamfered edges. A quality plastic enclosure in an assortment of nice colors would be fine.

People that want more compute power, for gaming or video encoding, but don't want to spring $3000 for a Mac Pro or $1500 for an all-in-one, Apple should provide them with a separate Mini (larger design, quad core i7's, BTO gpu's, etc). Even if they used all mobile components, like the same ones offered in the iMac's, that's fine.

These two would fill a huge hole in Apple's product line that a single Mini just can't accomplish.

Last edited:

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
can you redesign with Apple signature aluminum instead of what's shown in the picture which looks like stainless steel.....plus what's with the blue color?

Dunkin Donuts?

metatrox

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
LOL!

I don't know what teardown you were looking at, but having been inside my own Mini, I can assure you, there is little to no redundant space in there.
Things seem to be getting smaller and smaller...

The Intel NUC (D54250WYK) is roughly 4.5" x 4.5" x 1.5". It's that small because it uses flash storage and the same CPU that's in the Macbook Air (i5-4250U), which is perfect for an HTPC and everyday tasks. It's a great example of the direction Apple needs to go with the next Mini. It wouldn't necessarily have to have a fancy aluminum enclosure with chamfered edges. A quality plastic enclosure in an assortment of nice colors would be fine.

People that want more compute power, for gaming or video encoding, but don't want to spring $3000 for a Mac Pro or $1500 for an all-in-one, Apple should provide them with a separate Mini (larger design, quad core i7's, BTO gpu's, etc). Even if they used all mobile components, like the same ones offered in the iMac's, that's fine.

These two would fill a huge hole in Apple's product line that a single Mini just can't accomplish.
Yeah it would be nice to get a Mac Pro with different specs, more like Medium grade stuff.

can you redesign with Apple signature aluminum instead of what's shown in the picture which looks like stainless steel.....plus what's with the blue color?
Dunkin Donuts?

I changed up the aluminum top. I'm assuming thats what you were referring to. It was a circular brushed aluminum.
I used the blue-ish color in reference to the macbook back logo. Too blue for sure but I liked it. I changed it to a standard black logo.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
The next mini will be donut-shaped like Apple's new campus. :)

It will stand on its side and blow air out like those Dyson bladeless fans.

priyamsingh

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
you shouldn't have put the exclamation mark. Apple would never do that. They'd just put a period at the end.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013

This makes sense. especially since they already have the "server" designation allowing them to have such a duality be more pronounced without disturbing the purchase/use drivers of their technology development....

Now if someone with some actual pull could pitch this effectively to Tim... ?:D

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006

I'm looking inside MY MacMini right now. It's got an extra space for a drive, cowlings, a primitive fan design, and a motherboard which is SPACIOUS in terms of modern design.

First, get a SSD nailed down to a board and reduce a huge amount of interior space. The computer might not be very customizable after this, but storage is moving external in the Pro, why not in the Mini?

Second, eliminate all the luscious packaging and cowls and little plastic bits, double layer the circuit board with SSD and cut the entire unit down 50%.

Third, make a slimmer, wider, pencil-thin horizontal fan based on the brush of a vacuum cleaner and have that push air across the entire structure. The whole fan should be about the size of a pencil.

However, this doesn't even deal with the ability of reducing the entire architecture of the motherboard, which is completely possible. At this time, the Apple designers and engineers could easily compress the Mini into a half-sized box without a lot of effort. I've been in and out of mine for a year and it is nowhere near as claustrophobic as many other devices they are manufacturing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.