Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I'm having an issue with text scaling in Safari 7 and not sure if it's a new "feature" or an actual bug. My eyes aren't what they used to be so I typically bump (zoom) the text size up a couple of notches whenever I fire up Safari.

In previous versions of Safari, this setting would remain intact until I closed and restarted Safari. This new version however is resetting the text zoom back to default every time I switch between websites. Zoom setting seems to remain while I'm changing pages on the same website but once I switch to a different site it goes back to the default text size.

Anyone else seeing this? It is seriously annoying for me as the default text size is usually too small for me when I'm browsing. Thanks!

Peruvian

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
U.K.
Yes, i'm having this exact same problem with the text sizing.. I hope its just a bug that is dealt with soon..

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Probably some kid at Apple thought it would be fun to mess with us old guys.

You know, I have to say after using Macs for several years that the only thing I can think of that I miss from Windows is the Font Size options that do not exist here.

MacOSExustio

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
Safari 7 text sizing

Probably some kid at Apple thought it would be fun to mess with us old guys. :D

Reminds me of the aline in Men In Black, "Hey! OLD GUYS! (everybody turns around immediately)". That annoys me, along with the fact that the way I usually browse/surf is to open a couple of tens of windows with many tens (or hundreds) of webpage - most of which I will probably never look at and end up closing..) But this causes Safari and seemingly the ENTIRE rest of the OS - including such "basic" things as insertion-point-blinking, text response, etc. to slow down to a CRAWL.

(It's bad when you long for the days of a non-pre-emptive, non-multi-tasked operating system like the "good 'ol Mac OS 3 or 4")

Maybe this is Apple's subtle way of telling me to upgrade to a new Mac that has a 4-core processor (I'm assuming Mavericks will do nifty things as put the basic-interface-functionality on a separate core if it has more than 2 of them?)

But using the extension requires that Javascript be turned on - which I normally leave off unless I have to load a wikipedia page with math stuff, or need it for posing something like this - because the JSC stuff seems to also slow the system down to a crawl as well as increase the chance of Safari
(or some WebContent process) crashing. I was hoping that Apple would have upgraded the code so that safari would not just "slow down" background tabs/windows, but STOP them entirely - or at least provide an option in the Develop menu to do so. Maybe some hidden preference in a plist somewhere accessible only with the defaults command?

Or maybe for some reason App Nap is activating by accident" somas happen for some reason with Sheepshaver classic mac emulator.

I wonder if a SIMBL extension could hook into the JSCCore (or webkit itself) to prevent" pages from being rendered at all if they aren't frontmost in Safari?

Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.