Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nehta13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
After installing Mavericks, my screen resolution "shrank." The only three options showing up in System Preferences/Display are the following:
1280x800
1152x720
1024x640

Is there a way to change that? I messed with the size of icons and font size on desktop and got it to a point where it is acceptable, but in most "windows" everything is just looking too big.

Info about my computer is in the file attached if that is helpful.

Thanks for your help!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
After installing Mavericks, my screen resolution "shrank." The only three options showing up in System Preferences/Display are the following:
1280x800...

Info about my computer is in the file attached if that is helpful.

There's nothing attached. If it's a 13" Macbook or Macbook Pro, 1280x800 has always been the maximum resolution.

zaxxon4

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
I think I've cracked it.

On my Early 2009 Mac Mini I have an old Dell M992 monitor connected with an Apple Mini DVI to VGA adapter. The native resolution is 1600x1200, but after loading Mavericks it would only set to 1280x1024.

The solution that worked for me was to: set it to "Best for display", un-check "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available", and then to hold down the alt/option key when setting the display to "Scaled". With the box checked the alt/option key step wasn't revealing all of the hidden resolutions (it showed only one), but when unchecked it reveals them all (eight in all).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.