Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevehp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
It's not a house, it's a home.
Hi,

I often charge my iPad and iPhone (both on iOS) through the USB on my Windows machine at work (I use a Mac at home).

On iOS 7, I see a setting now to choose whether I "trust" the computer. Since it is my office computer, I always select "Don't Trust".

That being said, if I am using the USB port SOLELY for charging (no syncing - itunes is not even on the machine), does this pose any security risks for myself?

Thanks!!!

noTe on iPhone

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
I'd suggest just buying the USB adapter to use a outlet if you are so worried about it. More and more companies are blocking off USB ports to prevent any USB devices from stealing data from the computers.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I should further clarify that the security risk I speak of is simply my office being able to pull content off my phone (SMS, photos, gmail, etc).

While anything is possible, unless you're working for some ridiculously over-controlling company (or you're a sexy supermodel) your IT department has better things to do than trying to surf through people's phones.

I'd suggest just buying the USB adapter to use a outlet if you are so worried about it.

Unless the ports are fully disabled they should still be able to provide power. Still better to use a dedicated 1A or 2A charger for a faster charge and no popup to screw with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.