PDA

View Full Version : Advice On Refurb iBook

SamIchi
Dec 8, 2005, 04:31 AM
Refurbished iBook G4 1.2GHz/ 256MB/ 30GB/ Combo/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 56K/ 12-inch TFT

For $720 on Apple's website. Something for my dad that has never used a computer but wants to learn. It's got the AP card, which we need and it seems ok except the RAM. He's not going to be doin much with it, maybe M$ Office software and mail at the most. So this seems like a good choice.

Or should I wait for the intel switch? Or is that going to be a while?

The only thing I need to maybe upgrade is the RAM. Atleast 512MB. Is it easy to install on iBooks? I've done RAM upgrades on desktops, is it pretty much the same thing?

Thanks guys you guys are always a big help. And would you guys reccomend the Apple Care?

rdowns
Dec 8, 2005, 04:48 AM
I think it would be a great starter system for your dad. For what you dad needs i to do, I see no benefit to waiting until the Intel switch. Despite rumors, it could be 6-7 more months until we see them.

Installing RAM is a snap. Grab a 512MB module to upgrade.

I like AppleCare. I think it's a small price to pay for the peace of mind. You can add it at anytime during the first year. Keep in mind that you only get 90 days of phone support from Apple unless you add AppleCare within the first 90 days.

840quadra
Dec 8, 2005, 05:01 AM
First off does he really need the power of the latest greatest and fastest?

That's what I bought to compliment my Dual G5 (sans the Airport as I had one already). It is a great system, and quite powerful for what I intended to use it for.

It can play the smaller (and some medium) H.264 videos, and with the extra memory I installed (Now have 768), can run many tasks at the same time, and does well in Gimp (Graphics editor like Photo Shop)

SamIchi
Dec 8, 2005, 11:24 AM
First off does he really need the power of the latest greatest and fastest?

That's what I bought to compliment my Dual G5 (sans the Airport as I had one already). It is a great system, and quite powerful for what I intended to use it for.

It can play the smaller (and some medium) H.264 videos, and with the extra memory I installed (Now have 768), can run many tasks at the same time, and does well in Gimp (Graphics editor like Photo Shop)

No he doens't need the latest technology, that's why I asked if this is a good deal. I haven't seen anything else less than this on the Apple site. And the AP card would begood for the internet since he's goin to be travelling and we have a wi-fi at home.

California
Dec 9, 2005, 02:02 AM
No he doens't need the latest technology, that's why I asked if this is a good deal. I haven't seen anything else less than this on the Apple site. And the AP card would begood for the internet since he's goin to be travelling and we have a wi-fi at home.

Just drop in a gig of extra ram. You can use PC2100 ram in this ibook instead of pc2700 which MAY be cheaper.

Patmian212
Dec 9, 2005, 06:51 AM
Refurbished iBook G4 1.2GHz/ 256MB/ 30GB/ Combo/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 56K/ 12-inch TFT

For $720 on Apple's website. Something for my dad that has never used a computer but wants to learn. It's got the AP card, which we need and it seems ok except the RAM. He's not going to be doin much with it, maybe M$ Office software and mail at the most. So this seems like a good choice.

The only thing I need to maybe upgrade is the RAM. Atleast 512MB. Is it easy to install on iBooks? I've done RAM upgrades on desktops, is it pretty much the same thing?

Thanks guys you guys are always a big help. And would you guys reccomend the Apple Care?
Check smalldog.com for some less powerfull but still compitent ibooks, I dont reall think he needs a 1.2GHZ G4, I would say a 700MHZ G3 would be fine.

doucy2
Dec 9, 2005, 07:26 AM
Check smalldog.com for some less powerfull but still compitent ibooks, I dont reall think he needs a 1.2GHZ G4, I would say a 700MHZ G3 would be fine.
but he may only pay $100-200 less

at that price he may as well stick with the g4 processor and extra 500mhz

although i have a 700mhz g3 for my parents, (they only surf the net and watch dvds on it)

dmw007
Dec 9, 2005, 07:27 AM
Yes, the refurbished 12" iBook G4 1.2GHz/ 256MB/ 30GB should work out quite nicely for your dad.

I love my 12" iBook G4 (in signature). Although, I wish it had more RAM- 512MB is really the minimum amount of RAM that I suggest using with Tiger.

dmw007
Dec 9, 2005, 07:30 AM
but he may only pay $100-200 less

at that price he may as well stick with the g4 processor and extra 500mhz

although i have a 700mhz g3 for my parents, (they only surf the net and watch dvds on it)

I have to agree with doucy2- While an iBook G3 may well serve your dad's needs, I would suggest going with the iBook G4 since it is only slightly more expensive but will provide a noticeable performance difference.

themacmaestro
Dec 9, 2005, 08:37 AM

I would get it now... If anything, he can get familiar with it and if you want to down the road, upgrade. I think this would be a great system for him long term and it certainly is a heck of a price.