Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shacky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
I just got a Mac Air A1369 that has liquid damage. I looked up the serial number and Apple says it is a "mid-2011." I plan on replacing the logic board.

I see a few boards on eBay and my main question is will any A1369 board work? Some say 2010 for instance, is that OK?

Also, if anyone knows of another source for logic boards, I would be glad to hear of it.

Thanks!

Shacky

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Is the a169 a newer model board? So you want to keep the SSD, Display, etc and make it a newer computer? Check that the connectors the same as apple sometimes changes display connectors. Also I think apple changed the blade ssd cable so take a look.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
You will specifically need a 2011 board as Apple changes connectors and pinouts year-to-year to prevent a secondary market in upgrade parts (e.g. putting a 2012 mobo in a 2010 model.) You might check ifixit.com to see exact model number for 2011. For sure, 2011 is different than 2010 because it was upgraded with a Thunderbolt port.

shacky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Thanks! I'm glad I asked. The ifixit guide is great. Now, just to find a logic board....

shacky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
OK, this may be a dumb question. I was under the impression that the memory on these logic boards were hard installed, not removable modules. Is that true?

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
OK, this may be a dumb question. I was under the impression that the memory on these logic boards were hard installed, not removable modules. Is that true?

That is true, the RAM is soldered on (therefore not upgradeable*), but the SSD has a connector. But Apple changes the connector every year, so SSD replacement is specific to the model year.

*actually read a case where someone's RAM died, and an electronics shop in Taiwan was able to replace the RAM module with special soldering tools for about $100, but I wouldn't try it at home!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.