PDA

View Full Version : ibook wireless

xboiledeggx
Dec 8, 2005, 07:33 AM
hey guys i just got a new ibook 12 inch. Anyone else having problems with its wireless being less sensitive compared to a windows laptop. On my other laptop i have greater range where for my ibook has to be pretty close to pick it up otherwise i get the sad 'unable to find airport network' error please try again.
for example, in my school library they offer a free 802.11g hotspot where my windows laptop will reach it all the way up to the fourth floor but my ibook can only get it on the freaking first floor. I thought ibooks were great at wireless but so far i have seen very lackluster performance. I even dled the new broadband tuner 1.0 didnt help reception at all.

mad jew
Dec 8, 2005, 07:35 AM
That's weird, my iBook's reception is better than any other computer I've ever seen whether it's Mac or PC, laptop or desktop. Maybe open it up to make sure the card was installed correctly. :)

Broadband Tuner won't affect wireless reception whatsoever. In fact, it really won't affect all that much at all for the average user. :)

Apple
Dec 8, 2005, 07:38 AM
I thought I had a weak ibook signal then I upgraded to Tiger and my ibook got a much greater range for some reason. I do know that IBM's have a pretty powerful signal though

moonislune
Dec 8, 2005, 07:42 AM
hey guys i just got a new ibook 12 inch. Anyone else having problems with its wireless being less sensitive compared to a windows laptop. On my other laptop i have greater range where for my ibook has to be pretty close to pick it up otherwise i get the sad 'unable to find airport network' error please try again.
for example, in my school library they offer a free 802.11g hotspot where my windows laptop will reach it all the way up to the fourth floor but my ibook can only get it on the freaking first floor. I thought ibooks were great at wireless but so far i have seen very lackluster performance. I even dled the new broadband tuner 1.0 didnt help reception at all.

Is this a brand new Ibook or used/refurb? I've had a few Ibooks and only one had a very short range. Turns out the antenna wire had gotten crimped. You're right, you should be getting longer/better reception...there is something wrong with that Ibook.

xboiledeggx
Dec 8, 2005, 07:42 AM
well mine obviously has Tiger since i just bought it a couple weeks ago. if the airport card right behind the keyboard, i know it was on the model before they updated the ibooks in july. Back when i installed my Ram i didnt see anything there.

mad jew
Dec 8, 2005, 07:47 AM
The difference most people noticed in Tiger for their AirPort bars wasn't so much because range had improved so much as the bars have been re-calibrated and their parameters have been slightly altered.

As for the card, I'm 99% sure it's under the keyboard still. I just yanked my own keyboard up (not necessarily recommended until the machine is off though) and there are even instructions on how it should be replaced, but I've got an original G4, not a current one. :)

Warbrain
Dec 8, 2005, 10:37 AM
Airport card is under the keyboard. Antenna is on the left side of the screen. Just for clarification.