Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sailor720

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
I have a Late 2007 Macbook, core 2 duo 2.0, 2gb ram and 250gb Harddrive. I am still running leopard, and am getting frustrated with the lack of support from app (like chrome). It is running very slow and hot, I also need more storage space.
I have a 320gb external drive that I could swap in fixing the storage issue and then do a clean install (buying snow leopard) and upgrade to Mavericks but according to the apple site my computer is not compatible with the new OS, can anyone confirm this? I do not want to spend the time and money to be in the same place I am now when snow leopard drops support like soon.
I mainly use the computer for web, light office work and music/photos with the occasional netflix stream. I am also considering an upgrade to a 2011 15" pro with high-res and anti glare, as I hate my screen. I am not interested in the new retinas as I would have to spend almost $2000 for enough storage and I want a matte screen.
Is the OS upgrade worth it or should I just buy a new machine?

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I have a Late 2007 Macbook, core 2 duo 2.0, 2gb ram and 250gb Harddrive. I am still running leopard, and am getting frustrated with the lack of support from app (like chrome). It is running very slow and hot, I also need more storage space.
I have a 320gb external drive that I could swap in fixing the storage issue and then do a clean install (buying snow leopard) and upgrade to Mavericks but according to the apple site my computer is not compatible with the new OS, can anyone confirm this? I do not want to spend the time and money to be in the same place I am now when snow leopard drops support like soon.
I mainly use the computer for web, light office work and music/photos with the occasional netflix stream. I am also considering an upgrade to a 2011 15" pro with high-res and anti glare, as I hate my screen. I am not interested in the new retinas as I would have to spend almost $2000 for enough storage and I want a matte screen.
Is the OS upgrade worth it or should I just buy a new machine?

Upgrade RAM and to a SSD and install Snow Leopard. Most apps will run on it. If you miss something, try upgrading to Lion an your system will support all of the modern apps.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
Personally, if I were in your position I would go ahead and upgrade to the 2011 15" MBP.

Although it is ultimately up to you.

Just my $0.02

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
i wonder when apple will drop support for snow leopard. they're still selling it. even though it's a few years old it would be unusual for them to drop support for something that they're still selling. and what's the big deal about dropping support anyway? i'm running 10.4 on two g4 imacs and am not having any problem with either of them and it's been a long time since 10.4 was supported. buy a 10.6 disc from apple for $20 and enjoy chrome now.

rapicell

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
i wonder when apple will drop support for snow leopard. they're still selling it. even though it's a few years old it would be unusual for them to drop support for something that they're still selling. and what's the big deal about dropping support anyway? i'm running 10.4 on two g4 imacs and am not having any problem with either of them and it's been a long time since 10.4 was supported. buy a 10.6 disc from apple for $20 and enjoy chrome now.

I'd think they'd stop supporting SL when they drop support for C2D for OS upgrades. Since right now a vast amount of C2Ds out there have roots in sl or l it was only smart to keep selling the SL disc for those who might want to gain access to the app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.