Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafael.Lepin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Hey all, so I'd like to know how I can make an app that uses a SQL database for its data. An app like twitter or Instagram. They have both a web app AND iOS/android apps.

Would it be as simple as purchasing a domain with GoDaddy for example? I could then create my database, but what are the best technologies to use with very frequently accessed databases, REST, JSON, etc. (I frankly don't know too much about either of those and was hoping y'all could shed some light) Would I have to have some type of SQL security programmed in my table? I apologize if my questions don't make sense...that's because I don't know the complete process of things.

So once I have my database set up, how do I use JSON or REST etc in my IOS app to retrieve or upload pictures or information? is it just a few methods or an additional framework?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
I would prefer not to write one. I would prefer that someone else writes it for me. The commercial sites already have a REST API that I can use. So I wouldn't have to write any backend if I use their existing REST API.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
All the commercial backends cost ludicrous amounts. I've bought my own domain and a MacMini server and I know SQL - I'm planning on putting it all together to start making some web apps once I have more time after graduating.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
What happened to DROP? ;)

:D That's one of the projects I plan to host on the MacMini!

Also, this fits in with DROP - you should only avoid repeating what other people have done so long as its the right choice economically. If they're going to charge you a lot for something you could implement at a much lower cost, then go for it.

(You have no idea how happy I am that you just brought up DROP without me having brought it up first in this thread.)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Also, this fits in with DROP - you should only avoid repeating what other people have done so long as its the right choice economically. If they're going to charge you a lot for something you could implement at a much lower cost, then go for it

Maybe it should be called DROPUOFF (Don't Repeat Other People, Unless Otherwise Fiscally Favored).

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Maybe it should be called DROPUOFF (Don't Repeat Other People, Unless Otherwise Fiscally Favored).

I was originally thinking DRYOOP (Don't Repeat Yourself, Or Other People), but I decided to settle on DROP because it just sounds more elegant and easy to remember (for people that use English, anyways.)

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
OP, I suggest you either:

1) download an open-source server-side script and Objective-C class that will allow you to do what you want, or
2) write a server-side script that outputs the requested data, then create an Objective-C class that makes use of the SDK's HTTP request code. Then you can have a custom class.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.