Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
I am new to the Mac community and have been looking at getting some sort of NetCam for my, soon to be delivered, iMac.

I saw the iBot which uses FireWire and I have cable modem running at 250-300KBs throughput, on my WinPCs. I tweaked the crap out of it so that I got the best throughput possible.

I like to talk to my brother over the the NetCam (Intel PC Pro) that I have setup on my WinPCs, but there has to be something better for the Mac.

Then I saw iBot.

What are the BEST NetCams available for the Mac?

Don't care about price, I just want the best... that's why I bought an Apple with OS X!

Also, thoughts on MIDI to connect my keyboard to the iMac. I've seen some that use USB. What's the best?

Thanks, you guys are the best!!:D

Bophonic

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2001
Quark-
I think you should look for software rather than hardware, you can always get a new older model DV camcorder with a Firewire connection and you pocture will be crystal (amazon has a cannon for $379). The thing is, how do you ise it to video conference?? I've been trying for months now and still nothing. But you always see it in movies and tv, so whats the deal? Let me know if you find anything...

Paul

Quark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Can't Video Conference??

I'm not sure I understand.

Before I explain that, let me state that I have a Sony DCR PC-110 which is an incredible and tiny (relative-term) digital video recorder as well as a 1 Megapixel still camera. It has both Firewire and USB.

As for the lack of understanding, this may stem from my inexperience with Macs.

On the WinPCs that I have, I use a M$ program called NetMeeting. This allows you to connect directly to another person's computer using the IP address. Then we can see and talk to each other. My brother has a 56k Modem and I have cable modem. He is getting DSL, Cable, or Satellite (DSL) once it becomes available where he lives. We video conference all the time and I help support his computer problems. With NetMeeting, I can take remote control of his computer and fix problems.

NetMeeting is a free program from M$.

Doesn't the Mac have some sort of NetMeeting equivalent??
:(
If not, this troubles me and I hope that somebody will build something to make this work.

I find it hard to believe that the NetCams for the Mac don't come with this type of software. ALL of them do for the Windows PCs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.