Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JazzyGB1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Hi,
Is it just me, or does Mavericks improve the contrast of colours?
There seems to be a noticeable improvement in colour saturation on both my Macbook Pro & Mac Pro computers since I installed it, which was an unexpected plus.
At first I thought it was just my Macbook Pro display being at a different angle or something, but on booting up my Mac Pro I saw exactly the same thing.
Maybe its better graphics drivers or better OSX screen calibration, but whatever it is I like it. :)

Last edited:

Broojo02

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
UK
Yeah I noticed a change as well, the red in the Google Chrome logo seemed more crimson than orange.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
definitely, the contrast has gone up. i'm still using mountain lion on my main internal drive with mavericks booting on an external, the difference is very noticeable when going back to mountain lion. i copied over my original calibration file for the MBP in ML to mavericks, and it was still better. i was pleasantly surprised. for some reason, in in ML/Lion, icons, dock and launchpad appeared less contrasted and more washed out.

i noticed this a lot because i customise some of the icons and they always looked reduced in colour and contrast when replacing the icon in the dock compared to the original file.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It is possible that Apple slightly tweaked the default calibration profiles, making colors pop. I haven't noticed any change myself, since I use a custom calibration.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
Here's the color contrast difference between ML and Mavericks for those who are curious:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 266

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I haven't noticed any change myself, since I use a custom calibration.

so do i, but the change is still noticeable. as i said in the previous post, i copied over my calibration file for my mac in the colour sync profiles folder in the system/library folders and my colours look exactly the same just better contrast.

JazzyGB1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
UK
so do i, but the change is still noticeable. as i said in the previous post, i copied over my calibration file for my mac in the colour sync profiles folder in the system/library folders and my colours look exactly the same just better contrast.

Yes I think Apple must have optimised their calibration as text seems clearer and sharper too (at least in Safari it is).
To give an analogy it's like when you view the end credits from a movie on DVD. The DVD seems fine and then you put the Blu Ray on and all the text is just so much clearer - better defined with no edge blur and nice and sharp.
That's the sort of improvement I think Mavericks is bringing in text on Safari.
Well done Apple! :)

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Yes I think Apple must have optimised their calibration as text seems clearer and sharper too (at least in Safari it is).
To give an analogy it's like when you view the end credits from a movie on DVD. The DVD seems fine and then you put the Blu Ray on and all the text is just so much clearer - better defined with no edge blur and nice and sharp.
That's the sort of improvement I think Mavericks is bringing in text on Safari.
Well done Apple! :)

maybe we noticed the difference or was sensitive to it due to perhaps similar calibrations in our blacks.

i havent notice a difference when using safari, i will have to try and compare it to ML later but i updated safari on ml to the newest version so it might be the same??

JazzyGB1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
UK
maybe we noticed the difference or was sensitive to it due to perhaps similar calibrations in our blacks.

i havent notice a difference when using safari, i will have to try and compare it to ML later but i updated safari on ml to the newest version so it might be the same??

It might just be psychological with safari to be honest, but definition of colours has definitely improved. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.