Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
does anyone see this? under the battery icon on the menu bar, it states that

and when i got into Activity Monitor, under Energy tab, it shows Safari is using Avg Energy Impact of 11.5

never seen this before, any opinions?

TD912

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
The "Significant Energy" list in the battery menu is a new feature of 10.9. It shows what programs might be using up a lot of energy.

Most of the time you'll just see some programs you are currently using, which is perfectly normal as they will obviously have to use more energy when you are working with them.

However, if there programs in the menu that are running in the background but you aren't really using them, you might save some battery power by quitting them.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
The "Significant Energy" list in the battery menu is a new feature of 10.9. It shows what programs might be using up a lot of energy.

Most of the time you'll just see some programs you are currently using, which is perfectly normal as they will obviously have to use more energy when you are working with them.

However, if there programs in the menu that are running in the background but you aren't really using them, you might save some battery power by quitting them.

thanks for the explanation, but do you think is normal for safari to be up there? i only have 3 tabs of forum web pages

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
thanks for the explanation, but do you think is normal for safari to be up there? i only have 3 tabs of forum web pages

Yes. Javascript (facebook, gmail, forums, etc.), and flash use a lot of power. As does network traffic - wifi pulling data over wifi or across the network uses power too.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
so its normal to have 40 while having 2 tabs open (mac rumors and outlook)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.