Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
Hey guys,

There was a bit of interest on hearing about what happened to people with failures of their SSDs on the mid-2012 Mac. Below is what happened, your mileage will definitely vary.

Got diagnosed, was told I needed to replace the SSD. Got a phone call a day or so later saying that there was a major constraint company-wide on the part, so they'd simply replace my laptop.

Went in today and got my replacement. Mine was mid-2012 CTO, the only change being an upgrade in RAM to 8 gb (still base level processor and 128 gb SSD). Since they didn't have that in stock, they gave me the fully loaded version (512 gb SSD, 8 gb RAM, updated processor). To make it even better, I got the mid-2013 version instead of the mid-2012 version.

I'm sure YMMV, but it looks like Apple will be doing (at least locally in Canada, but probably most places) replacement for an equal-or-better model of the current 2013 edition.

Best of luck to all!

jgc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
Thanks, I'm really impressed. Obviously not everyone is going to have the same luck that I had, but Apple is definitely taking care of this issue and is not afraid to be a little over-generous to fix it.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
This is why I was kind of hoping my Toshiba 128 GB SSD would fail lol, but I applied some update a few weeks ago that was supposed to fix it.

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
Nice! My 2012 13' 128GB 4GB RAM is the shop right now for the SSD. Update failed and so I took it right in. No retail stores around but one AASP so I took it there.

This MBA has had a defective battery and display replacement too, so maybe, just maybe even though it's out of warranty I'll get a replacement. Not holding my breath though.

jgc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
This is why I was kind of hoping my Toshiba 128 GB SSD would fail lol, but I applied some update a few weeks ago that was supposed to fix it.
Lol yeah I know what you mean now. Unfortunately I am still out $200 for the OWC drive I bought, so although it did work out in the end I am down a bit of money.
Nice! My 2012 13' 128GB 4GB RAM is the shop right now for the SSD. Update failed and so I took it right in. No retail stores around but one AASP so I took it there.

This MBA has had a defective battery and display replacement too, so maybe, just maybe even though it's out of warranty I'll get a replacement. Not holding my breath though.
Good luck then! Hopefully they end up replacing yours with a mid-2013 as well. I'm wondering if they're trying to replace with refurb 2012's when possible (for more common models such as yours) and only resorting to mid-2013 for CTO. Guess you'll find out soon!
Dude, that's a huge update!
No doubt. Out $200 on the initial part replacement from OWC but I have a much better laptop and pushed the need to buy one back 15 months. Not bad overall.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Lol yeah I know what you mean now. Unfortunately I am still out $200 for the OWC drive I bought, so although it did work out in the end I am down a bit of money.

If you still have it, get one of these guys and you can turn that into a nice external SSD.

If not, well, $200 for what amounts to an upgrade to the current tech isn't THAT bad. :)

jgc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
If you still have it, get one of these guys and you can turn that into a nice external SSD.

If not, well, $200 for what amounts to an upgrade to the current tech isn't THAT bad. :)

The OWC drive came with an aluminum USB 3.0 case... I'm just not sure what I want to use it for. I have a 2 TB desktop drive for music, videos, and other stuff, a 750 GB portable drive that was used for backups and more immediate file storage (now will just be for backups), and many SD cards/USB drives. I don't know what I could use it for. Looking at selling it though.

But you're right... at the end of the day, if that deal was offered to me, I'd drop the $200 then and there.

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
Well, they just called me and they simply replaced the drive. That's ok. I'm hoping I can get another year out of it. Can't upgrade the RAM but maybe I'll get a 2013 SSD or something a bit faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.