Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
ok,

my new powerbook. i come home everyday, i plug it into my 30" and i wake it from sleep. 9 times out of 10 my USB from the display stops working. then i just realized when i plug my iPod into the USB on the other side of the powerbook it doesn't mount unless i restart.

this is getting annoying.

any ideas?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
technocoy said:
any ideas?

I think it may have to do with the fact that usb draws power directly from your Powerbook's CPU. So when it is asleep, no power. This is unlike a firewire connection, and this is why firewire is superior to usb -- but firewire does NOT draw power from the PB's board, but directly from the dc in board -- or directly from the electricity from the dc into the powerbook.

This is why you cannot boot from a usb device but you CAN from a Firewire device. This is also why usb devices slow your computer down. FW devices do not.

Check out the numerous threads on the fact that Jobs may be dumping firewire for usb in a cost cutting measure in the Intel switch, and good luck. Does your display have a fw port?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.