Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

promoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Since upgrading to 10.9, the dvd player will only play in the main monitor, not our second monitor. If I drag the player window (completely) onto the second monitor, it just snaps back. It doesn't make a difference if it is set for each window to have a separated space or not. Anyone else having this problem?

cdworin

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
DVD Player only on main monitor

I have the identical problem. The only way I can show the DVD on the external monitor is to change the arrangement of the displays in the system settings. Making the external monitor the primary screen allows you to view the movie on that external monitor.

promoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Yeah, what was Apple thinking. No way to watch DVDs on the secondary monitor?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah, what was Apple thinking. No way to watch DVDs on the secondary monitor?
I don't have this problem. I can launch DVD Player, and move to the window to either monitor.
I can have it on Full Screen mode in either monitor.

What hardware do you have? I'm using a MacMini with 2 x Apple Cinema Displays.

JBmac

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
Same for me with Apple TV as extended monitor

I was so hoping Mavericks would let me watch DVD movies on the extended Apple TV monitor from my 2013 MBAir. Before the upgrade I would just get the check mark screen if I tried to Airplay to the Apple TV from the MBAir. I can watch DVD's on the MBAir without any issues.

rayhigh

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
I don't have this problem. I can launch DVD Player, and move to the window to either monitor.

Same here, works fine with a 2012 Mini with a 24" dell monitor and a 50" Samsung plasma.

promoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009

I'm running and early 2009 MacPro with a 5770 video card, a 24" Dell monitor, and a 42" Insignia TV.

promoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Could it be that the dvd player is requiring HDCP for the monitor displaying the video and your secondary monitors don't support it?

I don't think so. The monitor is 7 years old, and probably doesn't have HDCP, and the TV is about a year old, and works fine with a Bluray player, so it must have it.

smallwilliams

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
Bramley, UK
Ditto

Just to get my 10 pence in:
MacBook Pro Retina 15" with LG 27" as secondary monitor. Before upgrade to Mavericks the DVD player worked absolutely fine on the LG, but now I have the same problem as OP, in that dragging the DVD Player onto the LG, it snaps back to the Mac screen. For now I am using VLC to watch DVDs until a fix appears. I think we just need to give Apple a chance to throw out some Mavericks updates, as there are a few apparent issues with the initial release - they must be compiling a list.

TheSultanOfSex

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Same issue here... really annoying to lose functionality when one of the main draws of 10.9 was the upgraded dual monitor support! :mad:

MaricJ

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2014
Is there any news on this?

Oh dear, another unannounced feature. Are there any plans to fix this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.