Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kabooky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
What can we expect for price ranges, is the yonah going to be more expensive for apple to buy and integrate than the ppc?

And I would assume there would be a jump in prices to begin with, being a new- top of the line product. Or am I crazy..

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Let's see, we know the prices, the complete specs, and the release date.

But since you are a newbie, we are going to force you to search for them. :p

skidknee

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2005
nykansukee said:
Better be cheaper

I don't ever think Apple would price their products based on the chip. They're not going to let a chip dictate how they price their powerbooks. Looking at their history, a major and radical price change would seem very unlikey. It's almost a certainty.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
There was a thread citing this blog post earlier this week that said that G4 costs apple something like US $72 ; while the current pentium m predecessor to the yonah is more than US $240. These are volume prices to the manufacturers. So unless apple is going to cut corners somewhere else I think the intel books will cost at least a little more.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I am expecting similar prices to what we see now. The Yonah is probably more expensive to buy, but the other parts like the motherboard should be cheaper.

Also considering the size of the new Intel Powerbooks (basically the same size as the PowerBook G4, except a bit thinner) I am expecting them to use the ATI X1600M (it's about the speed of a G6800go) because it is quite a fast laptop chip and it is meant to be low power.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yonah is more expensive than the G4.

iBooks will feature integrated graphics guaranteed. They already have OsX running on the Intel 915 chipset in developer macs. Most cheaper laptops use the same chipset. Apple have no reason not to use it in the iBook. It's a budget product to them.

This will create an immediate differential with the powerbook which will end up using a seperate gfx card.

Don't expect prices to much different across all product lines than they are now. Apple didn't switch to intel because they are cheaper (the new processors aren't) they did so because IBM couldn't keep up with theyre predicted roadmap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.