Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moog liberation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
So I just upgraded my 2010 Macbook Pro to Mavericks from Snow Leopard. I haven't kept up with the changes to OSX over the last 4 years, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment. I also know there a ton of features that I must be missing. Has anyone created a guide for the changes from Snow Leopard to Mavericks? I can't be the only person in this boat.

If not, does anyone to share anything that I need to know when it comes to things that have changed since Snow Leopard? Thanks.

moog liberation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks. I think I should rephrase my question a little bit:

I never used Lion or Mountain Lion, so I know there must be some features that were introduced in those releases that are just "normal" parts of OSX now and wouldn't really be mentioned in a guide to Mavericks. Is there anything I should know about that was implemented into OSD before Mavericks that is still around and useful? Thanks again.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The biggest changes came in earlier OSes: Resume, Autosave and Versions.
When you restart your Mac, it will reload all the apps that were open at shutdown. When you launch an app, it will reload all the documents that were open when you quit it.
New applications don't need to save files: they do it automatically every 5 mins. The first time you save it is simply to give it a name and location on your drive.
OS X then keeps a record of each version, a bit like time machine for each file.
If you're used to altering a document and Saving As when you've finished, then you'll need to Duplicate the document first, then work on it.
You can always Revert a document to the last opened version.

Plenty of screaming has been posted about these: my advice is that it's best to get used to them, rather than try to make things work differently.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
... When you launch an app, it will reload all the documents that were open when you quit it.

This feature, at least, is a user-choosable option. To turn it off, go to:
System Preferences > General

Check the checkbox:
Close windows when quitting an application

You can also choose it by holding down Alt/Option and selecting Quit from an application's self-title menu. The option will always be the opposite of whatever you chose in the General pref-pane.

I suggest experimenting with a program like TextEdit to discover exactly how both choices work.

Finally, you can sometimes find a "Save as..." menu item by holding down the Alt/Opt key and looking in the File menu.

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
The most radical changes (Resume, Mission Control, Autosave, Versions, new interface...) were made in Lion, so I would try to catch up with those innovations first. ML added a few extra's, like Messages, new apps and I believe iCloud was added around that time as well. Mavericks added few visible new features.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If you really want to learn everything there is to know, read the last three Ars reviews. It'll take you a while but you'll learn a lot.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
So I just upgraded my 2010 Macbook Pro to Mavericks from Snow Leopard. I haven't kept up with the changes to OSX over the last 4 years, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment. I also know there a ton of features that I must be missing. Has anyone created a guide for the changes from Snow Leopard to Mavericks? I can't be the only person in this boat.

If not, does anyone to share anything that I need to know when it comes to things that have changed since Snow Leopard? Thanks.

You could take a look at the video and text tutorials on this page:
:apple: Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Thought of another option, these Macworld articles, read in order, should bring you up to speed:

Mac OS X Lion: What you need to know

Hands on with Apple's new OS X: Mountain Lion

FAQ: Everything you need to know about OS X Mavericks

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.