Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wichad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Hello.

I am currently considering buying an iPad to enhance my study experience.

One of the things I would need is reading PDFs.

The iPad's screen is unfortunately too small to display them in actual size, so I am looking for an application that will allow me to view them in landscape mode and move simply through half pages so not to have to waste time scrolling or pinch and zooming at every page turn.

Do you have any idea about such an application? Thank you

epicmar

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Northern Florida
There are lots of good PDF reader/annotate/note taking apps for the iPad. One of the better ones is iAnnotate which happens to be on sale through 10/30/13 for $3.00 normally $9.99. It allows you to continuously scroll - meaning that you just keep sliding the PDF file up the screen. This means that as you scroll to the bottom of one page, rather than jumping all at once to the next page, you have part of two pages on the screen at the same time.

wichad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
There are plenty of applications like that. I need something as I stated in my first post. Thank you for your time, though.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
You would have to get PDF documents designed to be half size. Normal PDF documents are letter size or 8.5 X 11 in. Single page format.

Even if you were in landscape mode you would be scrolling down rather than seeing them in half page format side by side.

This is how the normal PDF document is formatted. It's not a Microsoft word document.

wichad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
So, you are telling me that no application exists for iPad which is able to do something so simple that even the Sony eReader can do it?

wichad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
What? That is a regular PDF file!

Does no one actually know an app that does this? ._.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I don't know of any app with that "feature" but why would you want that? Clearly the half page turns on the reader is a limitation of the e-ink display's ability to allow for scrolling.

wichad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Scrolling is time consuming as it requires precision. A simple page turn to go back and forward is the most productive and less distracting way to read a text when you're focused on contents.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Scrolling is time consuming as it requires precision. A simple page turn to go back and forward is the most productive and less distracting way to read a text when you're focused on contents.

If you want page turns (via tapping), PDF Expert has you covered. I don't know of it does half page turns. I'll confirm for you tonight, if you want.

LauraAnge

macrumors newbie
You would have to get PDF documents designed to be half size. Normal PDF documents are letter size or 8.5 X 11 in. Single page format.

Even if you were in landscape mode you would be scrolling down rather than seeing them in half page format side by side.

This is how the normal PDF document is formatted. It's not a Microsoft word document.

Well said

wichad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Well said

Excuse me, but I'm not really sure at which point did this become an argument with sides worth taking.

Anyway, does anyone use iRead? I read somewhere that it allows for continuous scrolling with a lock for horizontal scrolling, which would be just as good for me. Can anyone confirm this?

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Okay, so PDF Expert has page turns (no animation, just tapping the edge goes to next edge).

With the iPad in landscape, tapping the right edge goes to the next PDF page at the top half of that page. Tapping the left side makes it go back a page at the bottom half of the PDF. Tapping the top and bottom parts of the screen will cause it to focus on the bottom and top halves, respectively.

So I guess this does exist. It may even exist in other apps. Do note that PDF Expert doesn't have continuous scrolling, unlike most apps. Additionally, I must warn that you have to get used to tapping the bottom of the screen, then the right part of the screen and repeating.

I do want to mention that there is supposed to be a new iOS 7 version of PDF Expert coming out. You may want to confirm with the developers (Readdle) via email or Twitter before purchasing.

wichad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Okay, so PDF Expert has page turns (no animation, just tapping the edge goes to next edge).

With the iPad in landscape, tapping the right edge goes to the next PDF page at the top half of that page. Tapping the left side makes it go back a page at the bottom half of the PDF. Tapping the top and bottom parts of the screen will cause it to focus on the bottom and top halves, respectively.

So I guess this does exist. It may even exist in other apps. Do note that PDF Expert doesn't have continuous scrolling, unlike most apps. Additionally, I must warn that you have to get used to tapping the bottom of the screen, then the right part of the screen and repeating.

I do want to mention that there is supposed to be a new iOS 7 version of PDF Expert coming out. You may want to confirm with the developers (Readdle) via email or Twitter before purchasing.

Thank you very much. Apparently GoodReader supports continuous scrolling with horizontal scroll lock. Either app will suit me very well. Now off to buy an iPad :D

Accord3

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
Hampshire, UK
Goodreader

I use Goodreader all the time for reading PDFs, works a treat. I upload the PDF to Dropbox then sync Goodreader to Dropbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.