Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fncurtis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Issaquah WA
All my DV file thumbnails previews have been replaced with a generic DV rectangle since upgrading to OSX 10.9.
Thumbnail previews are usually displayed in column view and the view showing thumbnails in a grid.
It only appears to be a DV file problem, all my jpegs and mp4 files display normally in the Finder.
Any suggestions?

robbalvey

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
I'm having the exact same issue.

I have about 10,000 .dv files on my hard drive and every since installing Mavericks, the thumbnails have disappeared. I see that if I try to open them, QT automatically converts them to a .mov file. This isn't really a solution since I import them into my video editing software and I just need to be able to see the thumbnails to tell which video file is which.

I guess either of these two solutions would work, but I don't know where to go about looking for the anwer:

I either need to be able to:

1. Get the video thumbnails to show up again for .dv files in Mavericks

or

2. Find a way to batch convert about 10,000 .dv files to .mov with minimal to no quality loss so the thumbnails will again appear.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your help.

Suspended
Sep 16, 2013
if the .dv video played via a codec in quicktime or if the thumbnail was generated using the qtkit framework it will not work anymore under mavericks as quicktime was replaced with avfoundation and you can't install 3rd party plugins to extend quicktime playerX anymore

avi and such don't have video thumbnails anymore either

robbalvey

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
I've never done anything other than just import them and the thumbnails appeared in Finder. Haven't used any other program to view them other than QT and never used any other program to generate the thumbnails.

I'm not using any 3rd party plugins of any sort.

Do you know of any 3rd party programs that will create the thumbnails for a DV file? That would work also.

robbalvey

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
I've exhausted all the searching I can online and I've come up with nothing. Looks like my only solution is to use a program like Wondershare Video Converter and convert all the .dv files into .mov one directory at a time.

I did one test and it took a couple of hours for the first directory, and I've got about 200 directories of files to convert.

Usually, I'm not one to be upset by things Apple changes in their OS, but this is one of those things where I simply cannot figure out why they would have removed the thumbnails for a video type. One that has existed for many years.

Strange.

If anyone thinks of any other solution, please let me know. I'm probably not going to do the conversion for a couple of weeks in hopes that another solution does come up.

Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.