Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

engagemawu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2013
Going to transfer Google nexus 7 2nd to new iPad Mini with retina for the impressive display, and going to arm it with a protective case, have no idea if the former iPad mini case works on iPad mini with retina screen ? thanks!

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
I would like to know this too.

Want to buy the amazon basics clear case.

I would assume not.

They originally had that case listed with support for both the mini and mini with retina, I emailed them and asked them if the retina really was supported since it was thicker. They changed the label, but I never got an email back so...

CJisohsocool

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
Hard snap on cases won't fit. Tpu cases might tho, just make sure it has the extra hole for the mic, I've noticed some cases already have them.

casepert

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
I would like to know this too.

Want to buy the amazon basics clear case.

I would assume not.

They originally had that case listed with support for both the mini and mini with retina, I emailed them and asked them if the retina really was supported since it was thicker. They changed the label, but I never got an email back so...
Actually the size/dimension of mini and mini with retina is almost the same.(only the difference is mini thickness is 7.2mm and mini with retina is 7.5mm, this could not effect any case normal using). The point is, if you do not care about the back mic hole was covered by the case, then you can use mini case for mini with retina. <mini ipad with retina add an additional mic on the back which is not present in mini ipad, so most of mini ipad case has no corresponding hole for making that back mic without covered.>
My english is not well, hope this make you understand. :)

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Actually the size/dimension of mini and mini with retina is almost the same.(only the difference is mini thickness is 7.2mm and mini with retina is 7.5mm, this could not effect any case normal using). The point is, if you do not care about the back mic hole was covered by the case, then you can use mini case for mini with retina. <mini ipad with retina add an additional mic on the back which is not present in mini ipad, so most of mini ipad case has no corresponding hole for making that back mic without covered.>
My english is not well, hope this make you understand. :)

Will the .3 mm not matter though?

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Hay just want to know if anyone found out if is the case that older iPad mini cases fit the iPad retina mini now that its out ?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Any flexible case will work because .3mm is negligible.
Leather, vinyl, PU, TPU should all be good because there is some give in the case material.

Rigid cases where the iPad is actually clipped in, usually in the corners, will probably not work because they are precision molded with no give, by design.
Even those that fit should probably not be used because there will be too much stress on the attachment points possibly leading to premature failure.

sealos

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
LifeProof Fre Case works

Just did a quick test to see if the rMini works with the current LifeProof Fre and it does!

musicjunky

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
It seems that most cases will work unless it was a SUPER tight fit on the previous iPad mini. Of course, the old cases didn't have a hole for the rear mic as well. But most cases should work just fine. Don't get suckered into buying a new case! :eek:

Marline

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
I guess the same, I saw some cases entitled "Attractive Case Cover with Hand Strap for iPad Mini & iPad Mini 2 (iPad Mini with Retina Display) " if it can be seen as a proof...

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
The Rocketfish Hard Case I had for my old mini will not clip onto my new retina mini. This is a good example of a rigid rear case not being able to adapt to the new thickness, however slight.

I'm currently looking for a cheap solution to replace the Rocketfish. I see some similar stuff on eBay that says retina mini compatible, but I'm not sure I trust it.

plasmo

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
Just did a quick test to see if the rMini works with the current LifeProof Fre and it does!

@sealos-

I just tried the LifeProof Fre with my new rMini, and it wouldn't snap on...
it seemed like the 0.3mm extra thickness wasn't allowing it to snap the front and back parts together, and I didn't want to push it too hard.

Did you have to force it closed pretty hard to fit? I ended up returning the Fre because I thought it didn't fit...

sealos

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
@sealos-

it seemed like the 0.3mm extra thickness wasn't allowing it to snap the front and back parts together, and I didn't want to push it too hard.

Did you have to force it closed pretty hard to fit? I ended up returning the Fre because I thought it didn't fit...

That is just the case. It takes a little pressure to pop the case together at the start. After that, you continue to pinch the halves together until you're done.

plasmo

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
@sealos-

That is just the case. It takes a little pressure to pop the case together at the start. After that, you continue to pinch the halves together until you're done.

Thanks for your reply. I really liked the LifeProof Fre, but will probably wait until their official Retina version comes out. I heard others were able to force on the original Fre case onto the rMini as well, but i'm afraid that it might snap open or crack (if the rMini were to be dropped). Hopefully they will have the official case out by Dec.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Going to transfer Google nexus 7 2nd to new iPad Mini with retina for the impressive display, and going to arm it with a protective case, have no idea if the former iPad mini case works on iPad mini with retina screen ? thanks!

NO. Simple answer.

To elaborate, some cases can be made to fit, though not ideal. I don't really care about the back mic hole, I just want the case to fit properly. The Belkin, Coverbuddy, Speck, etc, don't fit right. Some of the cases can be pushed hard and made to fit, but not ideal. They are often so tight that a bump will cause the corner to pop off. I have about 5 hard cases for my old Mini and non really fit well.

I love how people say "it's only 0.3mm difference, it won't matter" yet many of the hard shell cases are only .3 to .7 mm thick to begin with, so yeah, it's a huuuuge difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.