Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ekiro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
I'm looking for alternatives to coda 2. Any suggestions?

I pretty much need a 3-4 split window for HTML, CSS, JS, and preview. Preview updates in real time as code is typed. And can sync with a remote server.

Anything better out there? Anything?

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Sublime Text is great, it might not have everything you want out of the box, but there are a ton of add-ons you can look at.

ekiro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Sublime Text is great, it might not have everything you want out of the box, but there are a ton of add-ons you can look at.

I didn't know there were custom build add-ons for sublime just for this... I will need to look into it some more. I paid $75 for Coda 2 and feel obligated to make it worth it. But the software is too sluggish and feels too clustered. Not the simplest to operate/navigate either.

SomeWhores

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
Just to preface - I pretty much only do static websites when I make them, I hardly do web apps, and when I do they're in C# for work.

Usually I use Hammer.app for setting up the folder structure/building the project, Vim/tmux for editing and git for putting on the server.

But if git isn't available, scp/rsync to get them on the server when they're ready. Or Transmit to mount the remote file as a drive if I'm feeling lazy

With hammer, it rebuilds on save and reloads the page in the browser. So while its not as you type literally its pretty close, especially if you're using an editor that saves when focus is lost.

I've bought countless editors I don't use anymore. Coda 2, Sublime Text 2, AppCode, Forklift, etc. I just figure I used em, found out I just really didn't like them, and moved on. Kind of sucks to think how much i've wasted on them but theres not much i can do about it at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.