Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhokes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
I'm considering an iPad Mini and in a dilemma as to whether to get a second-hand iPad Mini with the A5 chip or wait for the new retina version with the A7 chip.

I plan to use it for typical low-end tasks e.g. browse safari, email, calendar, read .pdfs, Pocket, Dropbox...

How does the original iPad mini cope with iOS7?

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
I'm considering an iPad Mini and in a dilemma as to whether to get a second-hand iPad Mini with the A5 chip or wait for the new retina version with the A7 chip.

I plan to use it for typical low-end tasks e.g. browse safari, email, calendar, read .pdfs, Pocket, Dropbox...

How does the original iPad mini cope with iOS7?

It works fine.

A brand new iPad mini for just $100 more would be recommended as it's not running on 2 and a half year old hardware.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Not good. It stutters and lags on the iPad 2 (which has the exact same specs as iPad mini) - even though the fancy graphics effects are disabled. Adding the blur rendering etc. you might be able to imagine how difficult THAT will be to render. The A5 chip is not really good for this purpose - wait for the iPad mini with Retina display.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
I played with one at the Apple store and other than the limited RAM it looks plenty smooth to me. The RAM means you can only have 4-5 tabs open in Safai at a time before they start refreshing. Worst case scenario I can return it and get the new one but I don't think I'll need to do that.

My refurbished one gets here Tuesday :)

iOZZY

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Stamford, England
No lag problems at all with my iPad mini on iOS 7.0.3 Very happy with the performance with reduced motion set to off in the settings.

Wasn't too happy with it on the initial release of iOS 7 but now with the bug fixes applied it is very smooth indeed :)

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
Not good. It stutters and lags on the iPad 2 (which has the exact same specs as iPad mini) - even though the fancy graphics effects are disabled. Adding the blur rendering etc. you might be able to imagine how difficult THAT will be to render. The A5 chip is not really good for this purpose - wait for the iPad mini with Retina display.

I think something is up with yours, buddy. My mini runs fine with iOS7 and I think it will be just fine for a few years yet.

Alex

dhokes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

How long do you think it'll be before they start experiencing sluggish behaviour?

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
I bet it will be quite slow on iOS 8 (released this time next year). Usually on the third iOS iteration it is pretty sluggish. The mini is basically ios 5 hardware now on its third iOS (5,6,7) so I would avoid upgrading it past iOS 7. In fact, I'm keeping mine on 7.0.3 for as long as I can.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
My Mini seemed a bit funky with iOS 7.0.1, but 7.0.3 runs just dandy. I have the reduce motion turned on (weird feature), and battery life is just as good as iOS 6. I thought I was getting a bit of a strange shadow thing going on when pinching out of an app, but that was just the translucent icon tray on the bottom allowing colors/shapes to show through. It's designed that way, so everything is normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.