PDA

View Full Version : Microsloth Windblows

crude analogy
Jan 3, 2003, 02:12 AM
Fellow Switchers,

It's 1993. The family is excited. Dad has just opened the box on a new "brandless" computer -- the kind with silver-laminate logos and a fancy, vented beige case.

After sorting out the exhaustive cable-array, and situating the uncomfortably propane-stove-sized CPU on a desk too small for it, we flick a big switch from "0" to "I".

Fans whir.

A line of white text scrolls onscreen . . .

Windows 3.1!

I excitedly hit the hertz-doubling "Turbo" button -- remember those? -- instantly boosting its performance to a sizzling 16MHz.

We sit by patiently, allowing applications to creep past their startup screens.

This is enjoyed for two weeks. Then comes "the crash". Dad calls everyone he can call. It is beyond repair. The bulky unit is discarded for $75.00. It is replaced with a teensy gray box spotted by two rainbow-colored apples. The front says "SE 30".

Instant reaction: It's only black and white!

But, hey, neat . . . Shanghai, AOL, Word Perfect, and a fun desktop pixel-rearranger! Awesome!

THREE YEARS LATER . . .

"Son, we bought a new computer."

"Did you?"

"Yes! It's a very nice system. The man here at CompUSA calls it 'the best system right now for education'."

"What is it?"

"A Macintosh Performa 6400/200."

"What? Is it cool looking?"

"You'll have to wait and see!"

Hours pass.

And then: sheer and utter bliss!

A bright, colorful introduction! A lady who walks around the screen, pointing out how to use the operating system! How much cooler can you get?

. . .

Since that day, I've only bought Apple. Work requires Dell. But every night, I look forward to the special moment of relief when I move this optical mouse, and the bliss of Jaguar returns, encasing me in its comfortable glow.

irmongoose
Jan 3, 2003, 02:29 AM
As someone else has previously said:

PLEASE WRITE A SCI-FI BOOK! I NEED TO READ SOMETHING WORTHWHILE!

:D :D

irmongoose

Sun Baked
Jan 3, 2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
As someone else has previously said:

PLEASE WRITE A SCI-FI BOOK! I NEED TO READ SOMETHING WORTHWHILE!

:D :D

irmongoose Please do, some of the outlines for your NeXT 2 books were quite entertaining. :)

crude analogy
Jan 3, 2003, 10:53 AM
For actual written fiction, visit:

http://www.homepage.mac.com/citizensane/Personal1.html

and click "words".

At the moment, almost all of the material is extracted from screenplays that I've put together: plans are in motion to get "regular" fiction up in the future.

irmongoose
Jan 3, 2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by crude analogy
For actual written fiction, visit:

http://www.homepage.mac.com/citizensane/Personal1.html

and click "words".

At the moment, almost all of the material is extracted from screenplays that I've put together: plans are in motion to get "regular" fiction up in the future.

Man, I knew it. I guess a writer has a distinctive style... I knew you were a writer since I read that NeXT 2 story of yours... or do you still want us to believe it's non-fiction? :D

irmongoose

zarathustra
Jan 3, 2003, 12:16 PM
I wish "crude analogy" would settle for a screen name. He is the same person as "RUNCIBLE 2.0" and "citizensane". If you go back and search for these aliases, you can find that he will have a conversation/support with himself.

Citizensane, crude analogy, Runcible 2.0, it's insulting to me when i look at your business card on your personal website and you call yourself a "writer, visionary, artist. Genius". I am a graphic designer and looking at your stuff I can say you are anything but an artist genius.

PS:

I think I am holding a grudge after you told me to kiss a rhyno's sphincter, when I have not even insulted you. Link. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16031)

crude analogy
Jan 3, 2003, 02:46 PM
Zarathustra: what's true is what is true for you. I cannot say anything to alter your opinion.

Antagonize me as you wish. I did not post the link to demonstrate any talent in graphical art -- it was done because irmongoose and others have requested written fiction of mine. I plan to appease them even further with full-length stories, to be posted later this year.

Please notice that "Genius" has no connection with "ability to design graphical images" -- such was not my intention when originally writing that card, such is not my intention now.

Challenge yourself to find something good about my character. Or grow up.

zarathustra
Jan 3, 2003, 04:34 PM
Zarathustra: what's true is what is true for you. I cannot say anything to alter your opinion.

Antagonize me as you wish. I did not post the link to demonstrate any talent in graphical art -- it was done because irmongoose and others have requested written fiction of mine. I plan to appease them even further with full-length stories, to be posted later this year.

Well, then why on earth did you post those images, if not to show them off? Did you not want people to look at it as a portfolio?

Please notice that "Genius" has no connection with "ability to design graphical images" -- such was not my intention when originally writing that card, such is not my intention now.

Hmmm. Funny, because if you look at the card (see attached), it does say "visual artist". Also your resume reads like a hopeful "visual artist". And see, I can use quotation marks, where you just throw them in like "Dr. Evil". I have never said "ability to design graphical images", so please don't quote what I haven't said.

Challenge yourself to find something good about my character. Or grow up.

Please leave your little cloud and stop writing lofty sentence structures and belittling comments. Why can't you just stop pretending and be who you really are. I look through your work online (both .Mac and Macrumors) and run across fictional, dreamlike speculation without rank or merit. Which in itself is fine, but you package it like the truth and try to ram it down people's throat. Anywho... you seem to rub me wrong, and I don't want this to turn into a mudslinging contest. I apologize if I said anything that would destroy your value-system. BTW, I am pretty sure I am older than you are, so please don't advise me to grow up.

crude analogy
Jan 3, 2003, 05:03 PM
"I don't want this to turn into a mudslinging contest."

--zarathustra, January 3, 2003.

If you did not want a mudslinging contest, you would not have slung mud.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted the images in a separate thread completely unrelated to this one. In the context of that thread, they were not intended as extracts from my portfolio. To visit where they were originally posted, visit:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15741

I am not a "hopeful 'visual artist'." Currently, visual art is my primary income pipeline. As my resume states, I am the Director of Promotion and Marketing for a large consulting firm in Silicon Valley -- not a position reached by being "hopeful".

However, after Berkeley, architecture will obviously grossly supersede it as an income source.

My "quotations" were an approximation of the intention contained in your original message. To say otherwise is only a self-congratulating delusion.

In my life I have never rammed anything down anyone's throat.

The world would be full of pity if you turned out older than me. Let's hope that isn't the case.

--C.S.

P.S., Nothing you said was potent enough to "destroy" any "system". (And you're trying to say I'M riding a "little cloud"?)

zarathustra
Jan 3, 2003, 05:18 PM
What can I say. You convinced me. I am sorry I ever doubted you. Please say more, I can't wait for your pearls of wisdom and amazing writing.

Also I would like to follow your carrier as an architect. You seem to have amazing ideas that would be very intriguing to use in the real world.

I am sorry I did not realize you were a Director of Promotion and Marketing, that indeed is an important position. However, I wonder if you meant to say Director of Public Relations and Marketing, because Promotions is usually handled by Human Resources - but of course you know your title better, I should not ask.

Cheers,

Have a great day.

crude analogy
Jan 3, 2003, 06:28 PM
Zarathustra,

Thank you for the post.

To clarify:

As the Director of Promotion and Marketing, I oversee the promotional materials produced by all subdivisions within my organization -- HR's included.

The major difference between "public relations" and "promotion" is that HR's relationship with the outside world exists to serve potential STAFF, whereas Promotion -- my division -- exists to serve potential CLIENTS.

Human Resources is natively concerned with getting people on board, while general materials promo is designed to interest potential clients in our products and services.

And, being among the largest consulting groups on the planet, it is hardly appropriate to deem Pacific "usual".

Regards,

-C.S.

P.S.: "Sarcasm is the recourse of a weak mind." --Freud

Sun Baked
Jan 3, 2003, 06:52 PM
"I don't want this to turn into a mudslinging contest."

--zarathustra, January 3, 2003.

If you did not want a mudslinging contest, you would not have slung mud.Is it too late to make it a night of beer and mudwrestling instead?