Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Last night I was using my iBook parked in front of the TV. All of a sudden the beach ball appears in Safari for no apparent reason. I click on the desktop and the beach ball stays, and the iBook has stopped responding point blank, no matter what I do. It's then that I notice what sounds like the fan, but even noisier.

I reboot by holding the power key thinking it was a random glitch, but the noise returns and it wont even boot up fully. The screen is stuck on the white screen with the Apple logo and the little loading icon swirling endlessly, with the hard drive making that little chattering noise it always does (when loading up or doing something intense like in photoshop). I leave it for 5 minutes and still nothing.

I try again later on and for some reason, I sway the iBook around in my hand and it seems that whenever the fan is quiet (from the change in motion, probably not very healthy for it), the computer "works", and I make it to the desktop but as soon as I leave the iBook stationary it just freezes and the noise is going.

SO I try booting up this morning and the noise has disappeared - or so I think. Within 5 minutes of use it's back and I'm back at square one. :(

Has anybody experienced this problem before? Or any idea what it may be?

I don't know if it's an issue with the fan or the hard drive, I'm 99.99% sure it's not a software problem. All I do know is I am -FREAKING- out after reading all the horror stories of people trying to get their Apple products repaired. The iBook is just about a year old, 12" G4 under a 3 year warranty because my sister bought it as a student, but I am overseas (Canada) and I didn't bring proof of purchase with me...so it's going to be a nightmare either way I think..they either charge me a ludicrous price to fix it or I go through the rigmarole of getting proof of purchase sent here (and I leave the country in two weeks!).

Sorry for the long winded post, and if you made it this far, thanks...I would appreciate any insight whatsoever.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I had the same issue about a month ago. The cause was the hard drive failing. I had the exact same symptoms: a loud fan noise and the system would not boot. When i carried my PB in my back pack for a while the hard drive would work for a while and the sound would return. Put the first Restore DVD your system and hold the command key while booting. This will allow you to run the hardware test tools.

Apple has records of purchases based on the serial number of the system. If they looked it up, they could see that the computer is still under warranty. I say give Apple a call and see what they say. I don't know what they will do since you are over seas.

In the States I sent my laptop off on a Monday to be repaired and got it back on Wednesday. I've had more issues getting the shipping company to pick up my system then Apple actually fixing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.