Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtasquared

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Gentle readers, will this work, yes or no:

I currently have made an image of my boot camp partition using Carbon Copy Cloner. If I delete the partition with bootcamp assistant in OSX, then create a brand new bootcamp partition on another internal drive in my mac pro using bc assistant, and then restore the image to that new partition while in OSX, will I succeed in creating a bootable bootcamp partition without having to reinstall windows/apps??

Yes or no, that's all I ask. Thanks for your consideration. :apple:

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I would think it will copy over to the new drive ok but it would probably not boot as the mbr would not be correct.
However, running the automatic repair function of the Windows installer would possibly fix it (assuming it's not an EFI booting Windows). The repair function may need to be run up to 3 times in total.

mtasquared

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2012
I would think it will copy over to the new drive ok but it would probably not boot as the mbr would not be correct.
However, running the automatic repair function of the Windows installer would possibly fix it (assuming it's not an EFI booting Windows). The repair function may need to be run up to 3 times in total.

Thanks very much for the info! i guess the question would be how to fix the mbr after copying over to the new partition. I'm researching gptdisk and AOMEI Partition Assistant right now...

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
If it's a bios compatibility installation (normal through Bootcamp) you might need to run the automatic repair function up to 3 times. This is available on the Windows install disc/usb.
If it's an EFI installation it's more involved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.