PDA

View Full Version : OS 9 Bootable? Anyone know?

cyks
Jan 3, 2003, 02:25 AM
SJ had said that new machines starting next year (the now current year) wouldn't be able to boot into OS 9... Quark then said otherwise.
I was curious- now that it's officially '03... does anybody know what the story about booting into OS9 is? Can a new machine still do it? or are we finally limited to Classic for it? Anyone?
Just curious- but thanks to anyone who knows.

kishba
Jan 3, 2003, 02:56 AM
here in michigan there was quite a controversy between several school districts and apple regarding os9 support.

several school districts still have older mac equipment that simply will not run os x without both hard drive and ram upgrades. apple could not provide enough reasons for the schools to completely upgrade to os x (the negatives of switching to os x eventually outweighed the positives) so an ultimatum was given.

apple backed down and confirmed with my school district that os 9 will still boot on select mac systems until june. i have a feeling this will only include old g3 imacs, possibly emacs. it's not a victory for the school districts or apple, in fact it's only delaying the inevitable.

apple will force districts, and consumers, to use os x very, very soon and i have a feeling this will cause apple to lose even more of its market share in education. the school district i attend may in fact switch to all windows if apple drops support for os 9 anytime soon. it is rather unfortunate.

here's a break down of my district's current OS distribution... the graphic was published in my school's newspaper.

arn
Jan 3, 2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by cyks
SJ had said that new machines starting next year (the now current year) wouldn't be able to boot into OS 9... Quark then said otherwise.
I was curious- now that it's officially '03... does anybody know what the story about booting into OS9 is? Can a new machine still do it? or are we finally limited to Classic for it? Anyone?
Just curious- but thanks to anyone who knows.

Right... _new_ machines as of 1/1/03 were announced NOT to be able to boot OS 9.

Since no NEW machines have been introduced... nothing yet has changed.

arn