Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I am having issues with an X appearing over my battery icon saying no battery detected. this happens randomly throughout the day. sometimes it charges fine and other times i get the x. I tried resetting smc but it only temporarily fixes the issue. A few minutes later the issue comes back again.

when the battery is detected i can disconnect the cord and run on battery. it starts acting strange after a few hours. it will say 0% battery left but when i connect the cord it will say 43% or something.

Is this a battery issue or a logic board issue. it seems like logic board because sometimes its detected other times not and the percentage is wrong. also the charge light is orange sometimes but still charging. If i get the x through the battery and disconnect the cord the machine shuts off.

any insite would be helpful.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If you are lucky, you are looking at a loose battery connector.

After that I would reload fresh OS from scratch.

I assume, a 2012, you are nowhere near the battery's end-of-service.

I assume, since you are asking, you are out of warranty and no AppleCare?

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I have applecare. I am just curious what the issue could be because a battery should be a quick fix but a logic board and i lose my computer for a week likely. I read on apples faq that apple hardware test will check the battery. when i ran the test I got a hard drive error returned.

4HDD/11/40000000:sata(0,0)

this is strange because I just had the SSD drive replaced a week ago because of failure.

this is not my week.....

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Is it possible, when they switched out your SSD, the tech "bumped" the battery cable.

From my degree and experience, solid state failure are extremely rare (motherboard failure) wo some external irritant.

If you are going to have Apple look at it, there is usually no sense to tell Apple, "I think is this." Apple's tech is gonna go through his standard troubleshooting procedure and if the procedure calls for him to keep it a couple of weeks, that's what he will do, regardless of how simple the problem turns out to be.

I never buy AppleCare or whatever myself but if I can't be wo my laptop I would like ask the insurer if they have a loaner program, like when one puts the car into the shop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.