PDA

View Full Version : WIN>LINUX>MAC What a ride :)

bbbrad
Jan 3, 2003, 03:10 AM
Hello all I am new to the forum.
I am a webmaster of several websites.
I have been doing the computer thing since the VIC 20
Loved my amiga 500 :)
I have been a tech geek since 7 years of age :)
I have had the honor of a G4 Titanium laptop falling into my lap yesterday :)
It came with an OS but no disks with it.. I got it from someone who had been ready to throw it out their window :)
I snatched it up for $200.00. I bought it mainly for LInux Aps but then I started checking out this OS 9.1 that is on it and it did not look that bad.

I personally think windows is more user friendly out the gate but I am not afraid to read and get down to the nitty gritty of an OS.

SO all rant and raving aside.... Which is it Linux or Mac OS.

Which would you guys recommend on it.

I have thought about doing the VMware thing and running another couple OSs on it for fun :) (Just for the Sole Purpose of checking my web design for Compatability)
But then again much to my suprise the computer shows potential of being an useful tool after I get Macromedia Studio MX on there.

So like I said I am looking for suggestions on what OS I should Run on it. The Only reason I have not jumped onto linux is because of the net horror stories I have read about MAC and UNIX incompatibilities.
On the otherhand there is a ~$130.00 Mac OS X fee I would have to pay to put a in my opinion ligite OS onto it :)

Keep in mind guys I am still a very firm believer in the (IBM Compat. PC world)
:) Well I hope I did not offend anybody with my question.
( I kinda feel like I am on the other side of the tracks here :) )

It would be even better if someone was so kind as to perhaps even offer some advice.

Have a great day everybody,
Brad :)

Nipsy
Jan 3, 2003, 03:31 AM
Well, if you are new to Mac, do not learn OS9, it will be like OS/2 by next Jan...some people will still swear by it, but it will be a dead OS. If you want to give the Apple a good fair evaluation, do it with OSX.

Under OSX you can run most flavors of Windows and Linux via VirtualPC. You can also run a number of OSX native browsers, and you may perhaps, be able to run some X11 browsers via Xfree86 and fink (fink.sourceforge.net).

OSX gives you the Apple style, increased reliability, and most of those Linux apps you're mentioning have been ports to OSX (fink.sourceforge.net).

Also, too many smilies can make it hard to get the point of the message.

Have fun!

bbbrad
Jan 3, 2003, 03:43 AM
So that's one vote for the OSX purchase. Does anybody else have any thoughts on the matter?

BTW thanks Nipsy :) :) haha

arn
Jan 3, 2003, 04:34 AM
heh...

well, clearly on a Mac site, you are going to get recommednations for Mac OS X. As a linux user, i'm sure you've heard the excitement surrounding Mac OS X. I would highly suggest picking it up....

As you might be aware, it's a BSD based OS... based on NeXTStep. The pretty interface is nice, and there are various ports/tools available for the unix side of things, or you can stick with the GUI'd interface of many freeware/commercial apps.

For a slightly cheaper version of OS X (10.2): http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/generate.cgi?p=S-M8712LL/A

Powermax has a $30 rebate.

And if you look on ebay, you might be able to pick it up at a significant discount.

arn

amnesiac1984
Jan 3, 2003, 06:24 AM
Yeah but make sure you get 10.2 (Jaguar) if you go the ebay route!

Out of Interest what kind of G4 laptop is it? Use apple system profiler to check the processor speed, anyways, OS X is definately the way to go, you'll still be able to do loads nifty unix style tricks inthe terminal but you will be able to gate MX studio and photoshop 7 which I'm sure are useful tools for you! Plus you can run a load of different browser types like Nipsy said

kansaigaijin
Jan 3, 2003, 07:07 AM
how about multiple partitions, you put just about any OS on it when you include VPC.

I would definately go for the OSX, load the developer tools that comes with it, and install fink and all that if you are into unix. How could there be incompatibilities? OSX is a unix.

checkout osxhints.com for more mac/unix info, and macslash.com

sparkleytone
Jan 3, 2003, 09:17 AM
os x.

also guys remember he just said powerbook and not which model. there is a good chance it has only a 10GB hard drive.

lmalave
Jan 3, 2003, 09:22 AM
Definitely get OS X. Think of it like Linux except with a MUCH better interface than Gnome or KDE, and real support for peripherals. I installed Linux on my Dell laptop at one time, but got sick of struggling to get simple things like networking, video, and soundd to work. Now I have an iBook running OS X and it's everything I want in a computer. All the major open source projects have been ported to OS X. In fact OS X is rapidly gaining tons of support in the open-source community - because it's basically a Unix that can run real version of Microsoft Office, allowing Unix developers to ditch Windows entirely (since previously they were forced to have an additional Windows machine just for Office). Go with OS X - you'll like it.

lmalave
Jan 3, 2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
os x.

also guys remember he just said powerbook and not which model. there is a good chance it has only a 10GB hard drive.

10 GB is enough for OS X. The OS X install is only a couple GB. Sure, it's probably about a GB more than OS 9, but definitely worth it!

kansaigaijin
Jan 3, 2003, 09:26 AM
"I have had the honor of a G4 Titanium laptop falling into my lap yesterday"

he got a titanium for $200. he can afford a bigger drive. and a legit copy of jag.

medea
Jan 3, 2003, 09:39 AM
I agree with everyone else, go with OS X, it will be worth it.

Ensign Paris
Jan 3, 2003, 09:51 AM
Welcome to the Mac and MacRumors.

I agree with the other guys, OSX is a very interesting opertunity for many Linux users (I am supposed to be doing a presentation of OSX to a local LUG soon) which should be great if they are open minded.

This disk space issue is something you have to watch, my older iMac (400 Blueberry) has a 10gb drive and is totally full to the brim (I normally work with about 300mb spare on it) which makes OSX run like a dog, when I free it up it works much faster.

Ensign

bbbrad
Jan 3, 2003, 05:05 PM
OSX it is then :)
30GB HArd Drive, DVD/CD Burner, 512 MB PC 133,
16 MB ATI Card, 667 MHZ, Firewire, USB, S-Video, Air, 15" wide screen.

Over all I think I made out like a bandit but then again I am not sure. I do not evenknow how a 667 MHZ G4, Processor Compares to an Intel or AMD........
If someone could tell me what this laptop is worth (Just out of Curiosity) and what it is comparable to in the PC world I would be much appriciative :)

OutThere
Jan 3, 2003, 05:29 PM
~$2000, New. I'm not sure about the benchmarks so I can't really tell you how it compares to a similar PeeCee. You got an INSANELY AWESOME deal with that powerbook. You have a definite gem for a computer.

Here is the official
MacMall Price (http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=643248)

lmalave
Jan 3, 2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by bbbrad
OSX it is then :)
30GB HArd Drive, DVD/CD Burner, 512 MB PC 133,
16 MB ATI Card, 667 MHZ, Firewire, USB, S-Video, Air, 15" wide screen.

Over all I think I made out like a bandit but then again I am not sure. I do not evenknow how a 667 MHZ G4, Processor Compares to an Intel or AMD........
If someone could tell me what this laptop is worth (Just out of Curiosity) and what it is comparable to in the PC world I would be much appriciative :)

Oh my GOODNESS!! Who the heck was just going to throw out that machine, and sold it to you for only $200?!!? To use nice, round numbers, it's worth well over $1000 (up to $1500, though I'm sure a lot of people get suckered in to paying more on eBay). In terms of performance, it depends on which benchmark you choose, but again in the interest of using nice, round numbers let's say its comparable to a 1 GHz P4-M or more. And since it has an ATI Radeon card, if I'm not mistaken, it should run OS X quite nicely (OS 10.2 leverages the video card quite a bit). As a basis of comparison, I have an 800MHz G3 iBook (probably comparable to the 1.2 GHz PIII that's in the Sony Vaios) with 384 MB of RAM and an ATI Radeon 7500 32 MB, and it runs 10.2 like a champ. So on your TiBook it should run niiiiiiiiiice! Do a search on these forums for "xbench" to see how your model TiBook stacks up. After you install 10.2 you can download XBench and run the benchmarks yourself.

Addendum:

I just checked some Xbench scores for a TiBook 667MHz with 512MB RAM, and it scores about 10% faster than my brand new iBook. Not bad, considering that I payed $1300 for my iBook plus another $100 for the AirPort card!!!

macmax
Jan 3, 2003, 05:32 PM
If you got that for that price is a steal, ohh wait, it is a steal.
hehehhehhehe

iJon
Jan 3, 2003, 05:43 PM
haha, maybe that is erics computer that made its way into his lap all the way from chicago. at least eric has an ibook now.

iJon

bbbrad
Jan 3, 2003, 05:54 PM
Nice Nice :) These are all things that I wanted to hear :)
I guess for once I did not get owned on one of these risk type deals :)

Just out of Curiosity would anybody inhere be interested in buying it :)

Not to say that I am going to sell it because I really like they way the MAC OS is sounding but out of curiosity :)

If you did buy it it would have to wait till I bought MAC OS X and got a chance to try out the OS. I want to see if it is a better platform for my graphic design stuff :)

iJon
Jan 3, 2003, 06:17 PM
Nice Nice :) These are all things that I wanted to hear :)
I guess for once I did not get owned on one of these risk type deals :)

Just out of Curiosity would anybody inhere be interested in buying it :)

Not to say that I am going to sell it because I really like they way the MAC OS is sounding but out of curiosity :)

If you did buy it it would have to wait till I bought MAC OS X and got a chance to try out the OS. I want to see if it is a better platform for my graphic design stuff :)
well hey,if you dont like the mac you could sell it on ebay for a like 1000 or more.

iJon

bbbrad
Jan 3, 2003, 09:17 PM
Used Computers like this one go for $1000 + on ebay?
DO I have to have OS Disks or anything like that?
Should I format the drive and sell it with no OS?
Or should I go buy an OS and install it.

Keep in mind I am not sure if I want to sell it yet I am just curious.
I do have some bills I would like to pay off with it, but at the same time I am rather fond of it allready :)

I know with a PC you have to have a serial # Sticker ond original OS book to sell it legally... with MAC do those rules apply? I am asking because from what I have been reading in forums all MACs come with an OS so it is a givin that the OS is ligite on it?

Bare with me here I am learning :)

Edit: added to Post

iJon
Jan 3, 2003, 09:56 PM
Used Computers like this one go for $1000 + on ebay?
DO I have to have OS Disks or anything like that?
Should I format the drive and sell it with no OS?
Or should I go buy an OS and install it.

Keep in mind I am not sure if I want to sell it yet I am just curious.
I do have some bills I would like to pay off with it, but at the same time I am rather fond of it allready :)

I know with a PC you have to have a serial # Sticker ond original OS book to sell it legally... with MAC do those rules apply? I am asking because from what I have been reading in forums all MACs come with an OS so it is a givin that the OS is ligite on it?

Bare with me here I am learning :)

Edit: added to Post
i would install the os then sell. but dont get me wrong, you got an incredible deal on an incredible computer. give the mac a chance, im sure you will like it. I am just saying if you dont care for it as much and have no use for it sell it on ebay. I was stating 1000 because i have a powerbook g3 and i see those go for 800 all the time, your computer is about 2x better in everything so i bet you could get at least that much for it. give it a chance though, i was only insisting that you sell if you hated it. or needed the cash.

iJon

bbbrad
Jan 3, 2003, 11:03 PM
If I do it .. it will be a need the cash type of thing not because I hate it.. I really like the Unix like Kernal the the MAC apperntly runs on :)

kansaigaijin
Jan 4, 2003, 01:38 AM
"II really like the Unix like Kernal the the MAC apperntly runs on "

uh, it is not 'unix like' it is a unix.

lmalave
Jan 4, 2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by kansaigaijin
"II really like the Unix like Kernal the the MAC apperntly runs on "

True, people are forgetting that Linux is not Unix! In the Unix world there have historically already been many different variants that were very different from each other, and really OS X is just another variant.

bbbrad
Jan 4, 2003, 01:20 PM
Man I hope I do nothave to sell it :( I really want to keep it bad. I am getting addicted to that 15" widescreen real fast lol

crassusad44
Jan 4, 2003, 06:27 PM
Just out of curiosity... How did you come by that deal??? 667 MHz models were sold for well over $2000 under four months ago...

Either the person who sold it to you was plain stupid, stinkin' rich or... a thief...

You should check the serial number (you'll find it under the battery) with the police. It's impossible to find such a good deal, unless the machine was stolen. Especially since when it come without CDs...

If you consider selling it, check with the police and Apple first to find out if it has in fact been stolen.

If you're sure it's legit, then keep it, and load OS X onto it...

bbbrad
Jan 4, 2003, 08:58 PM
I got a reciept from the seller and I checked it out with the local police department.
My first thought was the same:)
I am not making any claims but I do not believe it was stolen or do I believe the person who sold it was rich :)

That kinda narrows it down :)

As far as keeping it I have not decided yet I really want to but I also really need to pay some bills off.

I am between a rock and hard place here.
I just ordered a copy of MAC OS X Jag.

I figure if I want to keep it I will need that.
If I want to sell it I will need that.

either way slapping MAC OS X on it is a good move.

My mother is a very respectable player on Ebay. I think if I do the ebay thing I am going to put a no minumum bid on it and see what happens. I have all the accesories for it and a god targus bag it came with.

it has the logictech clear looking button with it that neat little power plugin.

I have however if nothing else on the tech side of things recieved the opportunity to try one out and in the future I may buy another one:) (If I sell it) I am kinda teatering on this one.

bbbrad
Jan 4, 2003, 09:02 PM
One other theory I had had was it was bought at a public auction
(The Ones that liquidate bankrupt businesses. The person marking the bid price on it may have not had a clue.)

Nipsy
Jan 4, 2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by kansaigaijin

"II really like the Unix like Kernal the the MAC apperntly runs on "?
Originally posted by lmalave

True, people are forgetting that Linux is not Unix! In the Unix world there have historically already been many different variants that were very different from each other, and really OS X is just another variant.

On that note, MAC is media access control, a la MAC Address of your cable modem or NIC.

Mac is short for Macintosh.

Mac til death
Jan 4, 2003, 10:12 PM
brad... try starting up the computer holding down the "x" key.

You did say that you are unfamilar with Macs/Mac OS, and by holding down the "x" key you change the start-up disk to OS X if it's installed. I haven't seen anyone say anything about this, so you might as well give it a try. :)

xlemming
Jan 4, 2003, 10:13 PM
OS X runs on the mach kernel, the same one that NeXT ran.

bbbrad
Jan 4, 2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Mac til death
brad... try starting up the computer holding down the "x" key.

You did say that you are unfamilar with Macs/Mac OS, and by holding down the "x" key you change the start-up disk to OS X if it's installed. I haven't seen anyone say anything about this, so you might as well give it a try. :)

I tried that. It booted into OS 9 still.
My order at Apple is being assembled anyhow :)

at least that is what they say they are doing :)

(I have not figured out why software has to be assembled before they send it to me but never the less they even have a picture of a screw driver hehehe)

chewbaccapits
Jan 5, 2003, 12:25 AM
That person isn't throwing anything out of the window again, any time soon?

bbbrad
Jan 5, 2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
That person isn't throwing anything out of the window again, any time soon?

No worries if he decides to do anything like that again I will make sure I protect the ground from his "Junks" Constant gravitational abuse :)

bbbrad
Jan 8, 2003, 11:00 PM
Due to very recent bills I am going to have to let my new little baby go :(

sniff sniff I think I am seriously going to try to get another one in the near future when I get caught back up.

if you want to watch the event that will bring tears to my eyes...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14909&item=2087583183&rd=1

sniff sniff :(

I guess I need to know if I m still welcome in the MAC Forum if I do not have a Mac...

I would understand if you were to kick my PC using butt out lol but I hope you let me stay... If nothing else I can be a tech head for PC questions :)

bbbrad
Jan 8, 2003, 11:01 PM
Also you guys will see that I was not joking about having a sweet Mac at one time that has to add something towards me being allowed to stay here :)

Steradian
Jan 8, 2003, 11:43 PM
Many people on these forums do not own a mac computer because various reaons, and i think that arn (MR god), and any other person who post's in these fourms would say you can stay as long as ya want :) quite a few people here have a linux box, as well as a windoze comp at home so ya...

think of your experiance here in these fourms as a preperation for a mac if you so choose to own one at any point in time ;)

iShater
Jan 9, 2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Steradian
Many people on these forums do not own a mac computer because various reaons, and i think that arn (MR god), and any other person who post's in these fourms would say you can stay as long as ya want :) quite a few people here have a linux box, as well as a windoze comp at home so ya...

think of your experiance here in these fourms as a preperation for a mac if you so choose to own one at any point in time ;)

I 100% agree. I don't own a Mac yet (still waiting for some extra $$), I got 3 PCs running different versions of Windwos. 'Hanging' around here helps you get waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more info about Macs than just reading news/manuals.

Different users have different experiences that they report, different approaches/reactions to issues. Awesome way to do research about a system before buying it.

This is very handy ESPECIALLY if you are a switcher or planning to switch (or add, etc.) since you will see what other switchers went through and what issues they are facing.

Oh, did I mention that this site is addictive? :D

bbbrad
Jan 9, 2003, 06:00 PM
It is good to see that I am still Welcome here :)