Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I don't know why, but last night my computer didn't fully go to sleep, or maybe something else is wrong. I don't know. What I do know is that I put it to sleep with 30% battery life and ended up waking it up about 10 hours later to have it say I only have 5% battery life.

It wasn't this way on ML.

Heck, it wasn't this way in Mavericks until GM.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I don't know why, but last night my computer didn't fully go to sleep, or maybe something else is wrong. I don't know. What I do know is that I put it to sleep with 30% battery life and ended up waking it up about 10 hours later to have it say I only have 5% battery life.

It wasn't this way on ML.

Heck, it wasn't this way in Mavericks until GM.

Every night? Or just last night? Maybe PowerNap doing stuff while you were asleep?

Looking at the console log might give you an idea of what was happening during the night, maybe.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Every night? Or just last night? Maybe PowerNap doing stuff while you were asleep?

Looking at the console log might give you an idea of what was happening during the night, maybe.

A) I have power nap disabled while on battery.
B) I'm not the most savvy user, I don't know what I'd be looking for in... errr... system.log, right?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I just thought of something. Maybe if I make it go into sleep sleep faster, it'll save power? I don't know if the timer of when it goes into it was changed, so maybe there's a terminal command to check.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
A) I have power nap disabled while on battery.
B) I'm not the most savvy user, I don't know what I'd be looking for in... errr... system.log, right?

Spotlight... type console. There are loads of time-stamped entries in there. If lots of stuff is happening in the night, it might reveal itself in these entries.

You still didn't say whether this happens every night or just last night. I personally wouldn't be worried about the occasional unexpected usage, but if it was every night, I'd want to know why...

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Spotlight... type console. There are loads of time-stamped entries in there. If lots of stuff is happening in the night, it might reveal itself in these entries.

You still didn't say whether this happens every night or just last night. I personally wouldn't be worried about the occasional unexpected usage, but if it was every night, I'd want to know why...

I just noticed it last night. I didn't notice it happening before then, but I usually just shut it down until a few days ago. Also, I have no clue what this power report means. It might as well be in spanish. :(

Attachments

• 2013.10.27.txt
    34.7 KB · Views: 618

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I just noticed it last night. I didn't notice it happening before then, but I usually just shut it down until a few days ago. Also, I have no clue what this power report means. It might as well be in spanish. :(

It appears that your laptop is going into Clamshell mode, which will drain power.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I'd try unplugging any external devices and see how you get on overnight. If you don't have any connected devices, you might need to contact Apple to find out why your laptop is in Clamshell mode.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
It appears that your laptop is going into Clamshell mode, which will drain power.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I'd try unplugging any external devices and see how you get on overnight. If you don't have any connected devices, you might need to contact Apple to find out why your laptop is in Clamshell mode.

I have no external devices. I'm going to make sure I turn off Bluetooth, just in case it is picking up something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.