Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faddah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
portland, oregon
hi,

set-up - 2010 iMac w/ intel core i7 processor @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, latest mac os x 10.9 "maverick" update and the latest version updated of garage band; also, iPad third generation 64 GB wi-fi only with the latest version of iOS 7.0.3 and iOS GarageBand app v. 2.0 (3090.25). i also have the adapter apple sold for the iPad that gives it a usb interface - this was for usb sticks that had photos, but i'm hoping it'll work well with GarageBand also.

i'm wanting to do some podcast audio recording with multiple inputs (audio round table discussion setting), as well as some home studio recording (mostly acoustic guitar work). i already have several good mics.

i am looking for a mix board that will interface well with digital output to the GarageBand on the iMac, preferably to both the iMac and the GarageBand app on the iPad also. i want the mix board to have some form of _modern_ digital out, preferably usb (but could work, maybe, with lightning/thunder). the iPad is for when i want to record something on the road for a podcast, the iMac stays in my home office/studio. i'm looking for a mix board fitting these specs that i could pick up fairly reasonably on ebay or the like.

i've looked a bit at tascam and alesis. i was wondering what folks here might recommend and what their experience is? also, if not a mix board, then what would you recommend for a multiple digital interface input of the mics, say four or five at a time, going into the iMac or iPad for live recording?

i look forward to your advisement, stories and tips on this. thank you.

best,

— faddah wolf
portland, oregon
iMac 2010, OS X Mavericks (10.9), intel Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM
iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.3, 64 GB, wifi only
apple usb/sd-card adapter for iPad, 30-pin connector

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I think what you are asking for is a "audio interface", not a mixer. With Garage Band or other DAWS you do the mixing in software on the DAW. Get an interface with the number of input channels you need, one for each microphone.

So how many channels do you need 2, 4 or 16? the smaller interfaces will be USB and the larger ones Firewire.

In addition of the audio interface, some people don't like using the on-screen controls so they make "control surfaces" these look a like like a mixer board but no audio data or signals goes through them they are strictly just a control surface for the DAW.

I think you'd be looking for something like this for input via fire wire to the Machttp://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStuProj/

faddah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
portland, oregon
I think what you are asking for is a "audio interface", not a mixer. With Garage Band or other DAWS you do the mixing in software on the DAW. Get an interface with the number of input channels you need, one for each microphone.

So how many channels do you need 2, 4 or 16? the smaller interfaces will be USB and the larger ones Firewire.

In addition of the audio interface, some people don't like using the on-screen controls so they make "control surfaces" these look a like like a mixer board but no audio data or signals goes through them they are strictly just a control surface for the DAW.

I think you'd be looking for something like this for input via fire wire to the Machttp://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStuProj/

thank you for that, ChrisA, but i'd like to avoid firewire. i have it on my iMac, but it's sunsetting. usb 2/3, thunder or lightning are the way to go for mac/iOS hardware now. any suggestions with those, please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.