Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsethi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
India
Hi

i want to upgrade my ibook g4!

having specs -: 1.42 ghz power pc g4, 512mb built in ram, 14 inch, 60 gb hard disk

Can i load OS Leopard ? and i want to upgrade the ram to max possible.

I have seen few sellers on ebay for ram upgrade, but dont know which model to buy.

Please advise.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
You can install Leopard, it requires 867mhz G4 and 512mb ram minimum. Your iBook uses PC2700 / 333MH DDR SDRAM SO-DIMM -modules, 400MHz should also work unless there are some suprising general incompatiblities with certain ram sticks.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
This is all overkill. gsethi, do what Zotaccian has suggested.

Overclocking would be overkill, so would RAID be, but I just finished installing an SSD into my powerbook and I love this.

I used a MicroSata SSD (M500-32GB- 40 USD) with an adapter, and is is awesome! I also installed ATICCELERATOR and I find it does make it a little bit snappier.

gsethi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
India
suggestions needed

You can install Leopard, it requires 867mhz G4 and 512mb ram minimum. Your iBook uses PC2700 / 333MH DDR SDRAM SO-DIMM -modules, 400MHz should also work unless there are some suprising general incompatiblities with certain ram sticks.

Hi Zotaccian,

thanks for the help and suggestions, can u please suggest good brand or the specs for the RAM, and will i be able to install it on my own.

regards

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Well I don't have any spesific recommendations, here where I live Kingston is often hailed as "the best" memory maker but that I think more based on their lifetime warranty which they advertise. When buying parts for old computer I buy used parts and price determines my choice, unless I know that certain ram stick is not compatible. Hynix is also one ram maker which I see very often, I think it has been the most common atleast with all the laptops I have dealed with.

So, sorry I can't recommend anything since I don't have opinions about ram makers. There are some ram models marketed for Macs so I think those should then be compatible for what they are advertised, however if I can find same capacity sitck with same speed cheaper I will buy that instead of that "Mac ram".

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Hi Zotaccian,

thanks for the help and suggestions, can u please suggest good brand or the specs for the RAM, and will i be able to install it on my own.

regards

RAM is very easy to install. RAM is RAM, no brand is better than other at stock speed.

ktvchangge

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
+1 .This is all overkill. gsethi, do what Zotaccian has suggested.
-h06

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.